Menu

University of Arizona: freshmen orientation (long)

I suppose I'm behind times in posting our visit report, since that occured back in October. ;) But here's a quick recap.

DD wants to go into nursing. We scheduled a trip in October to visit the Arizona universities. She liked Northern Arizona University quite a bit. And then the day we were supposed to go to University of Arizona, we got the stomach flu. ALL of us got a very bad case of the stomach flu. :tongue_smilie:

DD's carefully planned visit to the University of Arizona (UA) was up in smoke. She had signed up for a tour and had been assigned a student to accompany to class. Well, with only hours left before we had to get back on a plane, DD and DH left - still queasy - to quickly visit UA. DD went down to Tucson thinking it was her 3rd or 4th choice school.

By the end of the day, it was changing to her first choice. :D Both she and DH were struck repeatedly by the high morale and enthusiasm on campus. The students there genuinely love their university and are extremely proud of it. Several times DH and DD would be on their tour and students would actually stop the tour and tell the tour participants that they "had" to come to UA because they would love it!

It is a large university, something like 30,000 students, but it somehow does not feel like one. It seems to have all or most of the advantages of a large university (many academic programs, a vigorous research program, a multitude of clubs/activities from which to choose, etc.) without most of the disadvantages. The academics are generally excellent there, with certain programs standing out as superlative. (Among them, nursing.)

We found UA to be extremely homeschool friendly. One of the admissions counselors there told me that they view homeschooled students on an equal footing with other students, and take a holistic approach to admissions. They look at the transcript, high school curriculum, personal essay, and test scores.

DD quickly decided she wanted to go to UA, and waited anxiously for her letter. (They do rolling admissions, and DD had mailed off her application in mid-October.) About three weeks later, a large envelope came in the mail. They left no doubt as to the contents: on the outside of the envelope, in HUGE font, were the words:

"You're In!!!!"

Cute, huh? DD received a partial merit scholarship as well, which definitely sealed the deal. ;)

So, within a week of receiving this envelope, DD committed to attending UA. We sent in her deposits and applied for housing. All this way back in November.

Fast forward six months. UA has twelve different freshmen orientations from which to choose. DH and DD attended the very first one this week. The whole focus of orientation, in addition to the obvious introduction to the university, is to register for classes, so there were various placement tests and guidance meetings throughout the process. In fact, they had DD take an on-line math placement test before she even arrived.

DD got her schedule and was very pleased. It was almost perfect except that the Spanish class she needs is inexplicably full already.

The orientation process was slightly disorganized because it was the first one of the year, and because it is partially student-run (as a means of leadership training). However, both DD and DH were extremely pleased with the entire experience overall. The enthusiasm that people have for this university is contagious and genuine. DD cannot wait to return in August. And this time I get to go with her, yay!

Just thought I would share our experience. If anyone has specific questions, please let me know. :)

Lynn,

I did the opposite of your dd -- went FROM the desert to the tropics for college -- I left New Mexico to attend the University of Hawaii!

We stopped by UA when we were in Tucson last year just to visit the small observatory there. The building which houses the observatory also had a theater and 2 small museums -- none of which have to do specifically with the academics on campus, but I thought it was neat to have such great community resources on campus.

I really liked Tucson, too, and it seems like the campus fits well into the community.

Hope it is a positive experience for her, though I know how hard it is packing for college when everything you bring has to go with you on an airplane!

DD got her schedule and was very pleased. It was almost perfect except that the Spanish class she needs is inexplicably full already.

This is because the AZ University system allows continuing students to register for courses prior to incoming students. It's a way of making sure that people who are already in a program can get a class they need to graduate.

(unless I'm completely wrong and they've changed the process)

asta

(NAU grad)

Lynn,

I did the opposite of your dd -- went FROM the desert to the tropics for college -- I left New Mexico to attend the University of Hawaii!

We stopped by UA when we were in Tucson last year just to visit the small observatory there. The building which houses the observatory also had a theater and 2 small museums -- none of which have to do specifically with the academics on campus, but I thought it was neat to have such great community resources on campus.

I really liked Tucson, too, and it seems like the campus fits well into the community.

Hope it is a positive experience for her, though I know how hard it is packing for college when everything you bring has to go with you on an airplane!

Jenn, what did you study at UH? Did you enjoy your experience there? Did you live in one of the UH dorms?

I'm originally from Arizona (Phoenix area), so I guess we grew up in similar areas. :)

Yes, you're right; packing will be a challenge! Especially with the new baggage charges on most planes now. :(

This is because the AZ University system allows continuing students to register for courses prior to incoming students. It's a way of making sure that people who are already in a program can get a class they need to graduate.

(unless I'm completely wrong and they've changed the process)

asta

(NAU grad)

Asta, that's neat that you are an NAU grad! My DD still has a fond spot for NAU in her heart and has said several times that she could have been very happy there.

We thought it was a pretty campus. My best friend from high school graduated from there as well. What took you to NAU, if I can ask? :)

I think you're right about the registration process. The other issue is that UA releases just 1/12th of its "freshmen" classes during each orientation, so that each orientation group theoretically has an equal shot at getting classes.

We're really hoping that a Spanish class opens up over the summer. If not, it's not the end of the world; DD will just have to take the class next spring. Her Spanish will be rustier by that point, but it's not too big a deal.

PS - We also found Northern Arizona University to be *extremely* homeschool friendly, so I have a very positive feeling toward them as well. ;)

Arizona State University was somewhat less so. They wrote and asked us for details (books, resources, sample labs) on DD's science classes. :confused: They were the only university to do so, or to do anything similar (and DD applied to six colleges).

I majored in Asian Studies at UH and it was a very positive experience as the culture permeates so much of island life. I also met my dh while there -- I shared a house in Manoa valley with his sister and brother-in-law! I also lived in an apartment in Makiki for several years. It was so funny the first time I flew home to Albuquerque and realized just how brown it is! The desert color palet is a bit more subtle than the lush greens and blues of Hawaii!

We go back to Honolulu almost every year to visit my in-laws and to eat lots of yummy local food! There are so many ex-islanders in San Diego that we are able to find plate lunch places, but it doesn't come close to the real thing.

Hope your dd adapts to the desert heat and learns to appreciate good Mexican food.

PS - We also found Northern Arizona University to be *extremely* homeschool friendly, so I have a very positive feeling toward them as well. ;)

Arizona State University was somewhat less so. They wrote and asked us for details (books, resources, sample labs) on DD's science classes. :confused: They were the only university to do so, or to do anything similar (and DD applied to six colleges).

To be blunt: ASU are a bunch of *sses.

You pay your tuition, and then are seated in a lecture hall with a couple of hundred students, only to have a grad student wheel in a TELEVISION and press "play" on the VCR. The lecture is a recording.

Now, I know this doesn't happen all of the time, but for it to even happen ONCE is unacceptable in my book.

On the flip side, how many science departments had multiple scanning electron microscopes in the late 80's? It is a WELL funded university. (that, cough cough, puts more into their football program than just about anything else, cough cough)

Summer school was much better (gee, the tuition was higher, maybe there was a correlation?) with smaller classes. I once even got a professor instead of a grad student...

I try not to be TOO hard on them, as they have grown from humble beginnings, but so did UA (the first medical school west of Colorado), and they seem to have kept their sense of self.

I adored NAU. It has changed a great deal since I was there (my major now doesn't even exist at the college I graduated from), but the honors program was top notch and extremely interesting.

a

I majored in Asian Studies at UH and it was a very positive experience as the culture permeates so much of island life. I also met my dh while there -- I shared a house in Manoa valley with his sister and brother-in-law! I also lived in an apartment in Makiki for several years. It was so funny the first time I flew home to Albuquerque and realized just how brown it is! The desert color palet is a bit more subtle than the lush greens and blues of Hawaii!

We go back to Honolulu almost every year to visit my in-laws and to eat lots of yummy local food! There are so many ex-islanders in San Diego that we are able to find plate lunch places, but it doesn't come close to the real thing.

Hope your dd adapts to the desert heat and learns to appreciate good Mexican food.

Jenn, thanks for sharing your experience. I know that the Asian Studies program at UH is extremely well regarded. And that's a pretty nice bonus, to have met your husband as well!! ;)

Nice to "meet" you. :)

To be blunt: ASU are a bunch of *sses.

You pay your tuition, and then are seated in a lecture hall with a couple of hundred students, only to have a grad student wheel in a TELEVISION and press "play" on the VCR. The lecture is a recording.

Now, I know this doesn't happen all of the time, but for it to even happen ONCE is unacceptable in my book.

On the flip side, how many science departments had multiple scanning electron microscopes in the late 80's? It is a WELL funded university. (that, cough cough, puts more into their football program than just about anything else, cough cough)

Summer school was much better (gee, the tuition was higher, maybe there was a correlation?) with smaller classes. I once even got a professor instead of a grad student...

I try not to be TOO hard on them, as they have grown from humble beginnings, but so did UA (the first medical school west of Colorado), and they seem to have kept their sense of self.

I adored NAU. It has changed a great deal since I was there (my major now doesn't even exist at the college I graduated from), but the honors program was top notch and extremely interesting.

a

Asta, I see that you share my brother's feelings toward ASU. ;) He pretty much loathes the school and was literally horrified that DD even applied there . . . we might as well have been applying to "Adolf Hitler U" or something equally unpalatable. My brother is a UA graduate . . . and there is definitely little love lost between him and ASU.

Your story about the television lecture is both terrible and funny.

I'm glad you had such a great experience at NAU. I honestly think DD would have been happy going to either NAU or UA . . . and DH and I would have been proud to send her to either university.

Now, ASU . . . well, I would have had to be prepared for my brother to come over and perform an exorcism. :D

• 1 month later...
Guest olivia

I am a high school student who applied for U of AZ this summer...They are going to inform me of the result at the end of this month and I am so excited to hear from them!

Also after reading this post, I feel glad that I may be able to go to this school.