Menu

Summer Courses - how to show on transcript?

Ds has technically just finished 10th grade; however, he is going to take some courses this summer. On his transcript, can I list those courses under his 10th grade year or do they need to go under his 11th grade year?

Thanks,

Karri

There is no rule! My teen took a class in the summer after 11th grade. On her transcript, I included the class with her 11th grade classes. In the course descriptions that I included with all of her applications, I noted that the class was taken in the summer after 11th grade.

One advantage of doing it this way is that I was able to include this class in her GPA for the 11th grade year. If I had included it with her 12th grade coursework, I think it would have looked odd to already have one completed class (amidst all the in-progress classes) when she sent off her applications in the fall of senior year.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I listed it where ever it looked best. If putting it in one year meant that he had accumulated 3 math credits, I put it in the previous year so it split the math more neatly.

Between 8th and 9th, though, I put the courses towards 9th because I wanted them for high school credit (both boys did a history course the summer between 8th and 9th).

I don't think there is a firm rule.

It's up to you :)

The public high school I attended counted the summer before as part of the subsequent school year. On the other hand, NARHS (umbrella school) counts the summer as part of the previous school year.

FWIW, I plan to count summer work into the subsequent school year, starting tomorrow :)

Karen

I put classes done at "odd times" wherever they looked best and fit in best on the transcript. Then I put an asterisk next to them and in my "transcript key" next to the asterisk I explained that the asterisk indicates courses that were not completed in the normal semester time frame. (I also did this for classes that took more than a year to finish -- like logic for one child and advanced costume design for another.