Menu

On-line writing class?

My oldest is a rising 8th grader. He is a reluctant writer, but has become MUCH better in the last couple years. We used IEW in 6th and Jump In in 7th (we're 1/2 way through that book). He also did a lot of writing projects this year in Sonlight and Lightning Lit. I think his writing has become pretty good. But, I'd like him to take an on-line class next year to get an outside opinion.

I'm looking for something that will help him get to the next level so he's ready for high school level writing. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi, Jennifer ~

My oldest (who turns 14 in early June) recently took Bravewriter's Kidswrite Intermediate class; we appreciated both the assignments and positive yet beneficial guidance. Because BW classes aren't inexpensive, I initially looked into other online writing courses. None impressed me ~ particularly Home2Teach. Since I know and trust Julie Bogart, the owner of Bravewriter, I went ahead with Kidswrite and as I said, I was pleased. I'll be incorporating BW's "Help for High School" in the years ahead and will definitely have Jan take an essay class with Julie as well.

Happy running to you!:)

Can I ask why Home2Teach was particularly unimpressive for you? Just wondering, for future reference.

I will say that my dd took the Bravewriter Kidswrite Basic class as a 7th grader, and she enjoyed it, but she has not used the methods she learned in the class since then. My fault, probably, for not reminding her to implement what she learned.

This year, dd (8th grade) took the Home2Teach Paragraph class, and ds (6th grade) took the Home2Teach Fundamentals 1 class, and they both enjoyed them. The Paragraph class seemed more rigorous than the Fundamentals class; whether that was a function of the class, the teacher, or my individual kids, I'm not sure, since this is our only experience with Home2Teach.

I do like the outside accountability with writing; that has been a positive for my kids in this particular area. When I am editing their work, it somehow comes across to them as more critical and personal; I'm working on that, and trying to implement some of the teaching methods from the online classes. You know, to become a kinder, gentler, nicer homeschool mom. :D

Shelly

I like the look of the Write Guide and how individualized it is. What did you think of WriteGuide? Why are you switching?

I'm hoping I can explain this. Basically, I think my daughter was able to pick up what she needed from WriteGuide, but that my son will not. She could pick up the skills and rules and such from "let's look at this aspect next." On the next paper, my daughter would remember the rule or skill so could apply it. My son can follow directions but has a harder time with application outside the given situation. I think that a systematic course will be better for him. Home2Teach will evaluate where he is, place him accordingly, and move him through their various courses as his skills improve. If he needs, he can be in the same course more than once. But only as he gains certain skills that he can apply will he move to new skills. I fully expect they will place my son in Fundamentals 1. He has certain skills down very well but not others. I kinda wish they had a Fundamentals 1 level but for older kids though. The needs of 7th-9th graders working so low is much different than 4th-6th graders at that level, imo.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I have found that nothing substitutes for a real person. The research librarian at our local library was willing to walk my son through his research paper. She is also willing to do a class on it for local homeschoolers. Even if my daughter and I are the only ones in the class, we are doing it this next year (for 10th grade).