Menu

Do bangs make you look older or younger? *That* is the question!

My girls have had me grow my bangs out. They're currently down to my chin level and blended in with the rest of my haircut. I honestly can't decide if the longer, no bangs look makes me look older or younger so I thought I'd ask your experience with such things. What do you think about bangs versus no bangs on a 46 year old woman? :-)

The word "bangs" no longer means a specific thing. There are long, side-swept bangs and shorter, straigh-across bangs. And it also really depends on your particular face shape and hair type.

My current hairstyle has longer bangs that sort of sweep across my forehead just above my eyes. Then, I have some longer layers that go between bang-length and my shoulder length hair.

I think it makes my face, which is a roundish shape, look thinner and not so round. I also think it focuses more attention on my eyes and it makes my face not look as severe when I pull my hair up in a ponytail.

Now, when I have straight-across bangs....I think it makes me look young....but not necessarily in a good way.

The word "bangs" no longer means a specific thing. There are long, side-swept bangs and shorter, straigh-across bangs. And it also really depends on your particular face shape and hair type.

My current hairstyle has longer bangs that sort of sweep across my forehead just above my eyes. Then, I have some longer layers that go between bang-length and my shoulder length hair.

I think it makes my face, which is a roundish shape, look thinner and not so round. I also think it focuses more attention on my eyes and it makes my face not look as severe when I pull my hair up in a ponytail.

Now, when I have straight-across bangs....I think it makes me look young....but not necessarily in a good way.

I know what you mean. In the process of growing mine out, I found myself in that "long, side swept" stage. I can say with certainty that I don't believe that is for me. Somehow, I was not able to make that length look good for some reason. ;-}

Thanks for posting!

Personally, I think it has less to do with your age and more to do with your face shape. I have a tiny little forehead, and bangs look awful on me. I think women who have larger foreheads look absolutely fantastic in bangs. If yours is medium sized :) then you might be able to go either way, it depends on your other features too.

younger...they hide forehead wrinkles. :D

:iagree:They also hide those pesky little "over grown freckles" :) (aka age spots).

It's a visual thing. A couple of years ago I was watching a show and they were saying that all women over 30 should wear bangs. I think the theory is that they don't visually pull your face down the same way long hair or even long bangs do.

That said, I'm older than you are and I've let mine grow out so they're a few inches past my chin. I hate messing with my hair.

I have to agree with the others who said that how bangs affect your looks depends more on facial shape/structure than anything else. I think I could pull off the long, swept across the forehead type of bangs, or very thin wispy bangs, but cut-across-my-forehead-in-a-straight-line bangs would make me look way too juvenile. I do like to layer my hair or angle it around my face so that it doesn't make my face look so long, but I definitely know I look better with my bangs grown out.

My dd, too, looks much prettier with her bangs grown out. She has such a pretty forehead and it really completes her facial shape well when you can see it. She cut her bangs last summer and has been growing them out all year. They are finally long enough to stay back in a headband or barette and almost long enough to tuck behind her ears.

I have known other people, though, who looked much more attractive with bangs. For example, in high school, the prettiest girl in the whole class who could have been a model, ended up being homecoming queen, was chased by all the boys, etc., usually wore her hair curly with bangs across her forehead. One day she didn't have time to do her hair or something and came to school with her hair all flat and straight with her (longish) bangs just brushed to the side to blend in with the rest of her hair. She looked so different. It was the only time I ever saw her in her entire life (from K through 12th grade) look anything but stunningly beautiful. She could never have worn the straight, parted in the middle style that was becoming popular.

Personally, I think it has less to do with your age and more to do with your face shape. I have a tiny little forehead, and bangs look awful on me. I think women who have larger foreheads look absolutely fantastic in bangs. If yours is medium sized :) then you might be able to go either way, it depends on your other features too.

Check out my profile pic. That was my hair before I grew my bangs out. I have a relatively small facial profile.....

:iagree:They also hide those pesky little "over grown freckles" :) (aka age spots).

It's a visual thing. A couple of years ago I was watching a show and they were saying that all women over 30 should wear bangs. I think the theory is that they don't visually pull your face down the same way long hair or even long bangs do.

That said, I'm older than you are and I've let mine grow out so they're a few inches past my chin. I hate messing with my hair.

I will definitely say no bangs is easier! ;-P

I think is depend on how you wear bangs. Straight across bangs make me look like a little kid. Side swept bang look more appropriate for my age. Big bangs like in the 80's are just out of style and make you look dated.

My girls seemed to think that I still had too much inclination to add *some* fo the 80's lift to my bangs.....

younger...they hide forehead wrinkles. :D

I got bangs for the first time in my life just last year and you wouldn't believe the compliments I got. I call it my $50 botox.

Unfortunately, I have no hair right now and hats and scarves don't hide those pesky forehead wrinkles.:mad:

I've been wondering the same thing. I went with the no-bang look for the first time ever last summer when I singed off half my bangs. Oops. I found I loved not having anything on my forehead. Floaters (another lovely symptom of age) were driving me crazy and not having bangs hanging above my eyes in addition helped. So, I grew the bangs out. And not having them is so easy and comfortable.

*But* now everytime I look in the mirror, my first thought is, "You look old." I keep wondering -- is it not having bangs or is it my age (41)? And at what age can I throw vanity out the door to settle for easy and comfortable?

I'm waiting for 20yodd to come home in July to resume her role as fashion guru in my life.

Edited by Luann in ID

I've been wondering the same thing. I went with the no-bang look for the first time ever last summer when I singed off half my bangs. Oops. I found I loved not having anything on my forehead. Floaters (another lovely symptom of age) were driving me crazy and not having bangs hanging above my eyes in addition helped. So, I grew the bangs out. And not having them is so easy and comfortable.

*But* now everytime I look in the mirror, my first thought is, "You look old." I keep wondering -- is it not having bangs or is it my age (41)? And at what age can I throw vanity out the door to settle for easy and comfortable?

I'm waiting for 20yodd to come home in July to resume her role as fashion guru in my life.

so, I'm not alone in this query. ;-P I've asked my girls repeatedly are they *sure* I look better without my bangs and they've never waivered. I'm just not convinced..... :-}

Sharon, I'm glad you asked this question. I'm 45 and I think I'm wearing my hair too long! It is very curly and is all one length about to my bra strap. I'm thinking of cutting it to my shoulders with longer bangs.

The plus about leaving it the way it is, I can let it dry by itself and don't really have to do anything to it. I'll probably have to do a little more if I cut it.

I had it pulled back in my avatar picture, and I think I had blow-dryed it. It was taken in January when my dh and I went to Costa Rica by ourselves, so I actually had time to "fix" it. You can see my forehead. What do you guys think? Bangs or no?