Menu

Can you help me design an American History course?

My ds will be in 11th grade next year. I need to design an American History course that's interesting and not overly time-consuming. And produces some sort of work that can go into a portfolio, etc.

Can you help me think out of the box?

I wouldn't mind finding some theme or something - a different way to view history.

One thought that occurs to me is to center your son's study of American History around a topic of interest to him. If he loves battles, have him study the wars America has been involved in. If he is a stamp collector, have him investigate history through the images on stamps over time. If he loves music, have him study famous musicians in their time. You get the picture!

Regards,

Kareni

We're going to be using Notgrass and TTC History of the US dvds. I have a lovely schedule for it, courtesy of....Sharon in MD, I believe!

I chose this route because I wanted to combine both Christian and secular povs. Notgrass seemed an better read than BJU and, although it is *easier*, the primary sources kick it up a notch. I wouldn't think it enough on its own, but adding the dvds seems just right to me.

I am not planning on using the Lit portion of Notgrass - I own the Stobaugh Am Lit and Lightning Lit, so we are picking about 10-12 books from these. And I will probably skip the Bible portion as we do family stuff for Bible.

hth

For creating our history, I jot down every kind of general resource I think we might be able to use (I've listed 9 things below). Then I figure out what time frame I want us to cover. And then I break that time frame into 12 three-week units (see below). Then after that, I start compiling a list of specific books, films, documentaries,web sites, field trip, etc. Once I have my "master list", then I start working on figuring out how much will realistically fit into 4-5 hours/week -- which is what will give us 1 credit of American History by the end of the year. If I start exceeding that 4-5 hours/week, then I start cutting out things. The only thing I allow as separate from those 4-5 hours/week is any feature films -- those are fun extras, and we watch those in the evening as family time.

We will be using the Notgrass American History, which is from a Christian perspective, but will balance with secular supplemental books and documentaries. I suggested "The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History" as a secular spine, as I have heard from several people on this board that it covered all the important events/people, and was concise enough to be able to add in other supplemental materials. We will also be doing a full credit of American Literature, and also a half credit of American Government, so we will have overlap in some of our materials.

I'm still in process in pulling together a list of historical fiction, feature films, and documentaries, or I would include that for you, too. BEST of luck in creating your own American History course! Warmest regards, Lori D.

1. spine = The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History (or other text of choice)

2. non-fiction supplements = books on specific topics of interest as you go; Alfred Marrin books are highly praised

3. timeline entries = 20 per unit (12 three-week units for the year -- see breakdown below)

4. research report = 1 per quarter (pick topic of special interest related to time periods studied)

5. Netflix (or library, or History channel) documentaries = 6-8 films to match time period studied -- OR -- Teaching Company series on US History

6. feature films = 4-8 films set in the time period studied

7. historical fiction = 6 solo read books (1 book every 6 weeks), matching time period studied

8. states & capitals, general landscape features of the U.S.

9. historic site field trips, where possible

Unit Breakdown (for a 36-week school year)

01 (3 weeks) = 1607-1770 = foundation and growth of the colonies

02 (3 weeks) = 1770-1790 = Revolutionary War; founding the nation

03 (3 weeks) = 1790-1820 = merchant ships/navy, Lewis & Clark expedition, War of 1812

04 (3 weeks) = 1820-1860 = westward expansion, Underground Railroad, Native Americans, War with Mexico

05 (3 weeks) = 1860-1870 = Civil War

06 (3 weeks) = 1870-1910 = Reconstruction; westward expansion, invention explosion, Spanish American War

07 (3 weeks) = 1910-1930 = WW1, Roaring 20s

08 (3 weeks) = 1930-1940 = Depression, Dust Bowl

09 (3 weeks) = 1940-1950 = WW2

10 (3 weeks) = 1950-1970 = Civil Rights, Korean War, Cold War, Space Race, Summer of Love/hippie movement

11 (3 weeks) = 1970-1990 = Cold War, Vietnam War, protests, Watergate,

12 (3 weeks) = 1990-2010 = wars in Middle East, post 9-11 America

1. spine = The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History (or other text of choice)

2. non-fiction supplements = books on specific topics of interest as you go; Alfred Marrin books are highly praised

3. timeline entries = 20 per unit (12 three-week units for the year -- see breakdown below)

4. research report = 1 per quarter (pick topic of special interest related to time periods studied)

5. Netflix (or library, or History channel) documentaries = 6-8 films to match time period studied -- OR -- Teaching Company series on US History

6. feature films = 4-8 films set in the time period studied

7. historical fiction = 6 solo read books (1 book every 6 weeks), matching time period studied

8. states & capitals, general landscape features of the U.S.

9. historic site field trips, where possible

Lori,

When you finish up, I would love to see your lists for items # 2, 3, 5, and 6.

Love your lists!

Peace,

Janice

We love Marrin's books here too. :001_smile: