Menu

Departure from SOTW for Prairie Primer?

Kimm in WA

Hi,

Most of you prob. don't know me b/c I post mostly on the HS board, and on a limited basis at that- I have 3 boys: 14, 14, 16, and we have done WTM and SOTW all along, though as they got older we switched to Omnibus, which we really like. I also have a 9yog.

2 and 3 yrs. ago, when I was schooling my middle-school-aged niece, we did SOTW 1 & II with my daughter and my niece. This past year we were not schooling my niece and the boys were doing more independent things. My 9yog and I did Portraits of American Girlhood, which we loved, as she loves the AG books. We combined this with a co-op class that I taught, where we did the hands-on activities. Next year we will not have that co-op to do these types of activities with others.

Anyway, since she loved the AG study so much, I'm considering doing Prairie Primer with her next year, but am a bit unsure. Anyone out there who has done it? I am definitely a WTM momma, so am wondering about the curriculum fit with my personality & teaching style.

My plan is to go back into the WTM rotation with Ancients in 5th -8th and then into the Omnibus series.

I'd appreciate any advice or BTDT stories.

Thanks!

Kimm in WA

I don't post a lot either. My daughter did Prairie Primer when she was around 10 years old. She loved it. She participated in 2 of the books in a co-op setting. I can't remember all of the activities, but one of them was owl pellets. Then we used it in our home. We mostly used it for literature, but we completed many activities to go along with it. It was well worth our time. Since then, we have visited the Laura Ingalls Wildler home in Mansfield, MO. It really made some of the book come alive. It was really neat to see this house that Almanzo built custom sized for Laura. The museum is neat also. We were disappointed in that we couldn't take any pictures in the house and the tour guide kept rushing us along, but we enjoyed seeing it.

I'm considering using Prairie Primer for my 10dd next school year when we get to that time period in history. I think she would enjoy it.

PP sounds similar to Portraits of American Girlhood. Seems to me that if your co-op teaching worked out well, then you shouldn't have a problem with PP. Your dd will probably have a fun year full of learning.

But since I haven't used PP, you can ignore my comments. :001_smile:

We have a farm outside of Walnut Grove, MN on the banks of Plum Creek.:)

I have been putting this off because we are not living there at the moment (military) but want to do it as soon as we are there for the duration of a school year.

It would be very different from WTM, but it might be a nice diversion and immersion exercise in prairie life. I think any little girl would LOVE it. It is so well rounded and fun.

Laylamcb - it DOES look fun, doesn't it?

Alegnab - that's my "issue", we won't have the co-op class next year . . .

I was doubting doing it for a bit, but think I've decided for sure to do it. 9th grade twin brothers will be doing Omnibus III, so wasn't sure about how much time that all would take.

Thanks for the input everyone.