Menu

My DD is working harder than I EVER did in school...

......college included.

This is "finals week". She has online finals in Omnibus Primary and Secondary, and Latin 1. She has a French final at the Jr. High, and an algebra chapter exam at home.

She will be allowed 5 hours for each of the Omnibus finals. 5 HOURS!!!, and she thinks she may need all of the time this year, although last year in Omnibus I, she finished each exam in about 3 hours.

She seems to be handling everything OK. But frankly, I worry about burnout. I am actually amazed at the volume and quality of work she is able to accomplish.

I have not pushed her into any of these courses. And she wants to continue things next year with an even more difficult course load.

Does anyone else out there worry about burnout? Any advice?

I am surprised you haven't had an answer yet to this question with 83 views. I don't feel that I have the experience to give you any insight or I would have replied earlier (I was the first viewer of this post), but I am interested in hearing what other, more seasoned parents might have to say.

Anyone? I know we have some very hard working students and some draconian teachers out there!

You are scaring me. My dd is not a worker and has VP online w/OMni pri and second in the fall.

Now, I am wondering if I can get a refund for my deposit. I asked them if five courses w/them are two much.

Does it help to have the other kids in the class ask questions and learn together as a group?

Now my stomach is turning.

My ds did Omnibus 3 Primary and he did not find the workload too much at all. He also did the secondary books for me in addition to Geometry w/ VP Online, Apologia Advanced Bio and will be taking his SAT2 in Bio next week, he did a year of Write@home and was on a competitive swim team swimming about 15 hours a week. I don't think he was overwhelmed at all. If anything, some of the course work was too light and made him lazy and not do well on some exams...sigh...

Anyway, some kids need and want a heavy workload. My ds is one of those kids who if he is not challenged will get soft and lazy. He NEEDS the pace that would burn and fry me ...

Maybe your dd likes the challenge...I say go with it.

Faithe

Does anyone else out there worry about burnout? Any advice?

Only you know your dc and what they can handle. I think you'd have a sense from her if she were on the edge of burnout. I'm not sure my ds was burned out this time last year, but I got the sense that he was maxed. He sat for 2 AP exams for the first time and probably should have done an SAT II, but I just didn't feel like he could eek out studying for one more exam. I know when I was in school, I just needed that summer or Christmas break to let my mind veg a bit and then I would be good to go again. :001_smile:

Lisa

You are scaring me. My dd is not a worker and has VP online w/OMni pri and second in the fall.

Now, I am wondering if I can get a refund for my deposit. I asked them if five courses w/them are two much.

Does it help to have the other kids in the class ask questions and learn together as a group?

Now my stomach is turning.

I was freaking out a little bit. The omni II secondary exam went fine yesterday. DD was done in under 2 1/2 hours. She was very well-prepared, and everything came to her quite readily. (And yes, the class did have an extra study session, which she participated in. The teacher was present for any questions.) She also aced her french final at school.

She had 4-H stuff to do, and then a hard work-out with swim team, and this morning she was just "rarin' to go". She got up and got right to work on Latin and an art sketch.

Maybe I'm just getting old and tired. She said this morning that she is just ready for school to be over, but that she feels pretty good about how things are going......

Next year, dd will have 4 courses on-line with VP, plus geometry, art, French II, and honors biology at the local High School.

Like I said, I never worked that hard in school, but I also didn't have anybody paying attention.... Dd is very driven, and wants to get a scholarship to St. Thomas Aquinas College. So I guess we'll take this High School thing one step at a time, and tweak as necessary.

Hope that helps assuage any fears.....:001_smile:

Only you know your dc and what they can handle. I think you'd have a sense from her if she were on the edge of burnout. I'm not sure my ds was burned out this time last year, but I got the sense that he was maxed. He sat for 2 AP exams for the first time and probably should have done an SAT II, but I just didn't feel like he could eek out studying for one more exam. I know when I was in school, I just needed that summer or Christmas break to let my mind veg a bit and then I would be good to go again. :001_smile:

Lisa

We are SO looking forward to a break. Can't wait to laze around a bit, dork with ranch animals, and do some light reading. :tongue_smilie: