Menu

Where to camp near Mt Rushmore?

We didn't camp there, but drove extensively through Custer Stage Park last year on our vacation. I can't think of a single campground area that wasn't nice. This is my favorite state park! When are you going? (I hope not close to the first week of August or you will not get much sleep due to the Sturgis Rally. )

Even if you are there during the rally, other than increased traffic and a few revealing outfits on bodies that don't need to be revealed, it is still a fun vacation. The biker people are loud. I guess I would be if I spent half the day on a loud bike:).

That looks nice, Jane. There are quite a few campgrounds in the park- is there a specific one your recommend?

Thanks!

We rented a little cabin at Custer so I don't have first hand experience with any of the campgrounds. Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong anywhere in the park.

We camped at Custer State Park during Sturgis 3 Summers ago. I can't remember which campground, but we had an electric site and there were flushable toilets and showers. There was a great lake in the campground. You really can't go wrong with any of the state parks out there.

Have a great time!

I'm planning a summer trip to Mt Rushmore/ Crazy Horse / Badlands. We'll be tent camping two nights. Does anyone have a campground they would recommend?

Thanks!

I would say my back yard if we had one. ;) We live the rally every year but the rest of the time the Black Hills is an awesome place to vacation/live. You will love the Custer St Pk. There are also a lot of campgrounds around Rushmore/Crazy Horse that are nice. (You really could spend a day at each of these two places.) My mind is blank as to the names of them right now. If you need let me know and I can get you more details.

Have a great time.

PS I would highly recommend not coming the first week of Aug. as it is the Rally and unless that is what you are coming for there are literally 100's of thousands of people in the hills area that week just for the Rally. We live in Sturgis and have gone to Rushmore during that week:tongue_smilie:to get out of the wild of the town and thought I would be crazy by the time we got back. Traffic can be really wild.

And yes you can see a lot of skin you hadn't planned on, A LOT MORE. I won't take my kids through town that week because of this.:(

I live in Colorado, and I go visit relatives in Northern MN/ Michigan UP every year. This year I decided to drive, since my older DD has a permit she can help with the driving. My kids have never been to Crazy Horse/ Mt Rushmore, so I thought that would be a nice side trip on the way there. (We're going in June, btw- so we will miss the Stugis rally!)

I'm planning to get up to Custer in the early afternoon, and doing one of the monuments then, and spending a whole day exploring. We'll leave early on the third day, because it will be long drive from Custer to MN!

On the way home, we'll go straight through Nebraska probably. We like the look of that state park with the water park, but it looks like it's geared toward RVs and not tents. I hate listening to the generators all night.

I live in Colorado, and I go visit relatives in Northern MN/ Michigan UP every year. This year I decided to drive, since my older DD has a permit she can help with the driving. My kids have never been to Crazy Horse/ Mt Rushmore, so I thought that would be a nice side trip on the way there. (We're going in June, btw- so we will miss the Stugis rally!)

I'm planning to get up to Custer in the early afternoon, and doing one of the monuments then, and spending a whole day exploring. We'll leave early on the third day, because it will be long drive from Custer to MN!

On the way home, we'll go straight through Nebraska probably. We like the look of that state park with the water park, but it looks like it's geared toward RVs and not tents. I hate listening to the generators all night.

I love the BH. We generally make a trip to both Crazy Horse and Mt R. every summer, different days. We are doing the volcs march the 7th of June. That is when you can hike up and onto the arm of Crazy Horse. It is a bit of a tough hike but so worth it. My two youngest are Native American so taking them to Crazy Horse covers some bases for us also.

There is the Presidential Trail at Mt. R. It is a really nice hike with very good walks all the way. Lots of steps if you make the whole circle. It takes you down to the studio also. Well worth the time if you have it.

Have a great trip.

Custer State Park is wonderful. If you have time, the hike to Harney Peak is a great way to spend the day.