Menu

Wesleyan University (Middletown, CT)

Jane in NC

While Wesleyan may be a university, it is truly a Liberal Arts College at heart. During the tour and information session at this small, highly competitive college, representatives are quick to point out that all classes are taught by professors. There are few grad programs but those that are available do not detract from the undergrad mission.

Wesleyan strikes me as the perfect school for a self-directed student who may have an eye on graduate or professional school. The number of undergraduate students at Wes who perform research is truly impressive. It was emphasized that students need not be, say, a biology major to participate in biological research. Doors open for students at Wesleyan.

The curriculum is fairly loose. The University has defined "General Education Expectations", i.e. two classes in the three general areas of Natural Science and Mathematics, Social and Behavioral Sciences and Humanities/Arts. This is recommended--not required. A student who wishes to focus from day one in a particular area may do so. All freshmen participate in a writing intensive "First Year Initiative" course, essentially a small seminar that delves into a higher level or interdisciplinary topic while ensuring that students have the writing skills needed to succeed at Wes.

Campus life seems rich and engaging. There are a number of student run organizations which add to the quality of the Wes experience: theater, film series, lectures. With its location half way between Boston and New York and a slew of well recognized alumni, Wesleyan is far from isolated. In fact, it is the richness of the curriculum and extra curriculars that add up to a general Wes experience, an almost ideal four years of participation in education for education's sake.

All financial aid is based on one's financial situation: no merit aid, athletic scholarships, etc. (Ouch!)

Interesting campus layout with an athletic field right in the middle. Our student tour guide said that it was not unusual to stop to watch a game or to cheer one friends on during practice. The school has been known for its excellent science programs, but its new president is an advocate for the arts. Our guide told us of a current dance initiative on campus.

The admissions office was most accommodating. My son wants to study archaeology, a subject that most schools do not offer or tuck into an antropology department or maybe classics. Wesleyan has an archaeology program which allows for a major in the subject, but a program, we have seen, is not as strong as a department. A faculty member was very generous with his time and answered our specific questions on courses, program philosophy, where graduates go, etc. (Let me comment as others have that if your student knows what he wishes to study, talk to faculty. One receives insight that is removed from the admissions spin or the student perspective!)

We feel that while Wesleyan's Archaeology Department is not as strong as others, our son could receive an amazing education at the school. The dean who addressed our admissions session brought up a point that I think bears repeating: many of our students will have jobs in the coming decades that do not exist today. Wes's mission is not to train students for a specific task but to create thinkers in the broad liberal arts tradition. This is contrary to some philosophies that I have seen among parents who feel that students should leave college with a certain skill set. Don't get me wrong. One can leave Wesleyan U with specific skills (foreign language enhanced by study abroad, participation in scientific research, a multidisciplanary social science degree that serves well as a background for law or public policy) but one does not attend Wesleyan for a pharmacy or business degree.

More to follow on other colleges.

Jane

Edited by jane.kulesza
cleaning it up