Menu

Piano lessons, how far?

Our kids all took/take piano. However, at $40/hour when is it time to stop? My rising Junior wants to continue, but it involves 1 hour/day, preparation of fifteen minutes of memorized pieces and studying for theory, technique, sight-reading testing each year.

She doesn't seem that motivated right now and my thought is that at this level, only pursue this if you plan to major in music in college. My college sophomore and college senior can still play their pieces from high school, but neither are studying music. They are just capable pianists.

Any experience here?

My daughter has taken piano lessons for 6 years. She now takes from a Russian instructor who charges $55/lesson - yikes!! She's been taking from this lady for 3 years and we are just not able to go on. My daughter will be taking from her former teacher - a young lady at our church who has gone on to major in music and is in her junior year now. If she wasn't available and willing to teach for practically nothing, we would just have had our daughter quit altogether. My daughter does think she may go on to major in music though, so we want to keep her skills growing just in case. My daughter also has 4 students so she is able to help with the cost of lessons.

If your daughter doesn't seem that motivated, I would not continue to pay for lessons. Unless she plans on majoring in music in college, the skills she has obtained up to this point will serve her well for her own personal use and enjoyment. I majored in music my freshman and sophomore years of college and if you want to excel you must eat, drink and sleep music - it is not for the faint-hearted (which is why I ended up changing my major). If you daughter finds one hour a day to be a chore, she is probably not cut out for it. jmho :)

My daughter has taken piano lessons for 6 years. She now takes from a Russian instructor who charges $55/lesson - yikes!! She's been taking from this lady for 3 years and we are just not able to go on. My daughter will be taking from her former teacher - a young lady at our church who has gone on to major in music and is in her junior year now. If she wasn't available and willing to teach for practically nothing, we would just have had our daughter quit altogether. My daughter does think she may go on to major in music though, so we want to keep her skills growing just in case. My daughter also has 4 students so she is able to help with the cost of lessons.

If your daughter doesn't seem that motivated, I would not continue to pay for lessons. Unless she plans on majoring in music in college, the skills she has obtained up to this point will serve her well for her own personal use and enjoyment. I majored in music my freshman and sophomore years of college and if you want to excel you must eat, drink and sleep music - it is not for the faint-hearted (which is why I ended up changing my major). If you daughter finds one hour a day to be a chore, she is probably not cut out for it. jmho :)

Yep, ours is a Russian lady as well and music is IT for her. We all like her dedication, but... it's hard to go year round and that's the expectation - all summer, twice a week if we could!

Our ds took from 1st through 7th grade (age 12). Then we let him quit. My goal was to get him to the point where he would be able to do whatever he wanted with his music, which we did achieve. We had to struggle and force him to practice when he had lessons. He quit playing for a couple of months after he quit lessons, but now he practices 2-3 hours per day most days. He took again in 9th grade, at his request,but dropped out after only a couple of months, but he ddi not quit practicing that time.

I think being a capable pianist is valuable on its own, regardless of whether your dd goes on to pursue a full-time music career. I had lessons growing up and briefly considered majoring in music but chose a different route. Nevertheless, I took several theory classes in college. I was the pianist for two churches, have accompanied many choirs, a homeschool children's touring ensemble, played specials in church, etc. I cannot tell you how much I've enjoyed piano as an adult and have been able to use it avocationally. I purposely drew back from so much music ministry after my 4th child was born.

I'm now grieving that I never mustered up the energy to teach my children consistently. Oh, how I wish I had those years back. Though finances were so tight early on, my current self wishes my old self had found another place to cut and quit putting off the piano lessons!

Don't undervalue the excellent gift you've given your children through piano lessons. Not just playing the piano, but reading music, thinking musically, familiarity with genres and composers. Huge. If it's a big struggle financially, could you consider having your dd pay half? I also know several older students who make good money giving piano lessons to young starters. And one in particular who is putting herself through college on voice and piano lessons.

HTH,

Lisa

How does you r dd feel about lessons next year? I would give her opinion a lot of weight.

If piano is her "thing", her passion, I would definitely encourage her to continue. All passions have their ups and downs, and just because she is not motivated at the moment doesn't NECESSARILY mean that she should drop.

But if she wants to drop it, I would definitely let her. As you point out, the lessons are expensive and practicing takes time. She sounds like she is quite skilled, and one more year won't make a huge difference in her abilities later on.

We required that each of our kids take two years of piano. After that they could continue the piano, pick up another instrument, or drop music all together. Different kids have taken different options, but I am glad that they all have a basic grounding in reading and playing music.

DD takes piano, voice and music theory/history (and sings in a serious choir). She's not currently planning to major in music, but she will be a very capable and appreciated community musician. She is determined to get her RCM grade 10 (in piano) before the end of high school--and because she's determined, we're happy to pay. It's not just about music--it's about setting goals and achieving them, learning to work hard, learning to work as a team (for choir), learning to do things that are really scary (perform solo), learning to take grueling theory/history exams . . . All of these skills are important, regardless of what she later decides to do.

On the other hand--if she didn't want to do all of this (and work hard), we'd encourage her to find some other passion.

Guest cleona

Hi,

Our youngest son has taken piano lessons for eleven years from the same teacher:). His lesson costs have gone up over the eleven years, but it is not that expensive. He will be majoring in music this fall. The college he will be attending offers piano lessons with the music education major students. This might be something to check on if you have a college in your area.

Our son went through phases of not wanting to practice, it's normal. We did require him to take lessons through the summer. For him it was beneficial. He has friends who are excellent pianists. They were required to practice three to four hours each day; they have both given up piano. I think you have to encourage, but do what you feel is right for your own children.

I stopped lessons at age 15 when I realized I could teach myself any piece I cared to learn. Note, not any piece under the sun, but anything I'd be interested in playing. I think this is a good test of whether someone's ready to stop. I was completely burned out, but I went back to piano at age 21 and began teaching private lessons. Today I teach my own kids and play at church some.

I think the later teen years are a good time for kids to explore what they want to do, and spend less time on what they're being made to do, if they have that luxury.

Another way to keep up the piano is to set a goal, for her to learn say 3-5 pieces on her own during the school year, practicing 30 min./day. My friend's 9th grade daughter is doing this with great success (only she does more than 3-5 pieces per year).

An hour a day is a lot to spend on something one doesn't really want to do. However, it's not "music major" level either. It's a good amount for someone who wants to make visible (audible?) progress. Music major level is more like 2-3 hours per day. 30 minutes a day would be a maintenance level. This is what my 9th grader does. He won't progress much beyond his level (late intermediate), but he can learn lots of pieces at his level and have fun doing it. He can play contemporary worship song arrangements, and he can play popular classical "crowd pleasers." He could play keyboard in a band one day.

Maybe you could talk w/your daughter about her goals for piano.

I'll just share our family's goals. My kids take piano just like they take literature or math. They'll take piano until they leave for college. In college I hope they can teach lessons, play gigs and perhaps be employed as a church pianist. DD also plays a second instrument, the harp. I hope she can be similarly employed on that instrument. I am not looking to send my kids to music school. But, I am hoping they get music scholarships to help pay for undergraduate. DH and I look at music as an investment-like a 529 college fund.

When I used to teach PS orchestra, I remember reading a study that stated that any less than 30 minutes of practice a day caused a degeneration in musical skills. 30 minutes a day=break even. Over 30 minutes means improvement. Wish I had a link to that study.

Someone who would let your dc take a lesson every other week, and that would help your dd improve her piano skills in a less intensive way? That would cut some of the costs, and make it a little more relaxed. There is a possibility that if it was a little more relaxed, your dc might be more motivated....can't say for sure, but it could happen.

Our kids all took/take piano. However, at $40/hour when is it time to stop? My rising Junior wants to continue, but it involves 1 hour/day, preparation of fifteen minutes of memorized pieces and studying for theory, technique, sight-reading testing each year.

She doesn't seem that motivated right now and my thought is that at this level, only pursue this if you plan to major in music in college. My college sophomore and college senior can still play their pieces from high school, but neither are studying music. They are just capable pianists.

Any experience here?

Yes, I have experience, but not with my dc, with me. If she wants it, I'd continue. Establish how much practice time you expect from her. The more piano she has, the more she has to go back to if she later gets a passion for it.

My parents would only pay for my lessons if I practiced, so practice I did. However, I was not motivated and quit midway through my junior year. Later, as an adult, I went back to it and picked up almost at the same level I left off (not everyone can do that, but I was a gifted pianist who threw my talent away). I have worked as a professional piano teacher for a good five years, and for 4 of those, made my living that way. I was taught some pedagogy through workshops and having a teacher who taught that at a local university.

I know a lot of people voted to stop, but I heartily, but politely and with respect, disagree as I think that as long as she wants it and will do a certain amount of work that you require, the best time for her to study it is NOW.

You have invested so much already that it would be a tragedy to stop now. I have a bachelors in percussion, but really, really wish I had continued piano as a child. There are many reasons for you to continue the lessons:

She will gain further proficency with additional study, which will lead to opportunities to teach, accompany for theaters, choirs, and churches, play for weddings and funerals, play for her own family at home, play for her own enjoyment, teach lessons for income.

I was told by a private school admissions person that all those years of music study look terrific on an application. And it could bring in some scholarship money.

Serious music study generally creates life-long patrons of the arts, and attending musical events is very enjoyable. Discussing them intelligentally helps one enjoy them even more.

If your daughter enjoys writing, she may choose to combine her musicianship with writing opportunities (music critic).

You can never be "finished" learning to play an instrument. Even orchestral players take a lesson now and again.

You don't know where the piano study will lead, but if she quits now there is a very real possiblity she will stop playing. Ask your friends how many played an instrument in high school and are still playing today. I have many friends with a trumpet or flute in the closet, yet these were people who were first chair players in big 5A high schools (Texas). The instrument just sits there.

Is an hour lesson necessary for a person who does not plan to major in music? Personally I don't think so. My my percussion students had a half hour lesson a week and three of them are band directors today (the rest majored in something else). My son's violin teacher teaches half hour lessons to all her high schooler (charging 20 a lesson) and they are in book 8 - 10 of the Suzuki program (orchestral level playing). My other son will likely major in voice or theater and he takes 45 minute lessons. If the teacher doesn't waste time a lot can be done in a half hour. Shoot, I had half hour lessons in college and I was a major!

I love the insight. Thanks. It's this dedicated teacher that not only likes one hour lessons, but twice a week if we would only do what the others do.

Anyway, it is good to see the experience from all of you musician mothers and the paths you took. My dd is teaching some piano and may add more students, so that is a good benefit. She's trying to decide if Lizst's

Funerailles will be one of her next pieces... Just for fun, my dd's great grandmother quit school in 8th grade, took the train to NYC for piano lessons 3x week and became a lifelong organist/music enthusiast. She passed her GED at age 80 with the highest grade in her class. Imagine that these days.

Thanks again

I love the insight. Thanks. It's this dedicated teacher that not only likes one hour lessons, but twice a week if we would only do what the others do.

Anyway, it is good to see the experience from all of you musician mothers and the paths you took. My dd is teaching some piano and may add more students, so that is a good benefit. She's trying to decide if Lizst's

Funerailles will be one of her next pieces... Just for fun, my dd's great grandmother quit school in 8th grade, took the train to NYC for piano lessons 3x week and became a lifelong organist/music enthusiast. She passed her GED at age 80 with the highest grade in her class. Imagine that these days.

Thanks again

To be honest, even without wasting a single minute, I find it hard to see how she's going to continue with 1/2 hour at that lesson. I taught piano, and really, at the more advanced levels, it's common to have 90 minute lessons, 2 hour lessons or 1 hour lessons twice a week. One hour once a week is enough to keep her going, but it's so easy to spend 15-20 minutes in a lesson doing nonstop, contructive work on one piece at the higher levels. I didn't teach advanced dc, but I took advanced piano with serious teachers.