Menu

Does anyone else have school-age dc who still nap in the P.M.?

One of my boys was like this until he was 9 or so. I remember times where I would try to keep him awake, but it never worked. When he needed to sleep, he NEEDED to sleep.

Even now, he'll excuse himself and go to bed early. He just needs more sleep than anyone else, other than dh. He's an early riser and is (at 14) ready for bed earlier than his brothers.

My children who attend parochial school take naps after school every day. This is because they are night owls and have to get up at 6:30 a.m. DD is in 7th grade and DS1 and DS2 are in 8th grade.

My 8th grade homeschooler doesn't take naps because he doesn't have to get up until 9 a.m.

None of them took naps after age 5 because they weren't tired during the day, until my DC started having to get up at the crack of dawn.

RC

One of my 5 dc was like this, too. I hs-ed him in K, but he went to school for first at 6.5. He often fell asleep in the car on the way home and was a BEAR if anyone disturbed him. Now that he's older, he is still the first of the gang to fall asleep at night or the one who's already crawled into bed before we start shooing the others toward the bedrooms. I hope it's normal, because *I* could still fall asleep in the afternoons!

My 14yo ds napped at least a few times a week until he was 7. He still does occasionally. He made my sil very unhappy the other day when she found out that he had taken a nap and her 25mo ds had not! :D He needs the most sleep of my dc.

My 10yo dd napped occasionally until she was 6-7 as well.

Does an 18 year old count? LOL! My ds has need 12 hours of sleep since he was born. He still often takes naps afer his busy days. If he sleeps less than 3 hours he can still wake up and go to bed at his normal time. Dd on the other hand can never nap and needs very little sleep.