Menu

When do you start checking out colleges?

NCMom

My dd is a rising 9th grader. She already has a tentative list of colleges she and I made at Petersons and from posts here, books, etc.. We are trying to schedule short drive-thru type visits of any college on her list near where we happen to be. :001_smile: Every time we do an away meet for swimming we scope out colleges in the area (and often the meets are at colleges too). This is like a 30 minute to an hour relaxed thing that we ONLY do if we are already in the area.

Yesterday she went to the Atlanta Aquarium with friends from NH, and as the Dad's alma mater is Georgia Tech, he drove them all through and gave a little tour. She did not like it much, and neither did his kids, lol.

Is this crazy? I think it is a lot better than the model I see around here which basically is parents and students totally unprepared for going to college and it's the kid's senior year!! The last three years we have known people (again, ps and hs) whose kids either almost did not get into the school they wanted or did not get in, or could not get the $$, all because of lack of planning... We know 6 people graduating this year and only 2 of them have firm plans. :confused:

Sometimes her list kinda makes me cringe a little when I see the ones posted on this board, but I am glad that she is interested and enjoys thinking about the possibilities.

I'm also telling her not to tell anyone else she is doing this 'cause irl people are acting like we are just total nut jobs here!

Georgia

I think what you are doing is perfect.

You are in an area with lots of good options (sigh, trying not to be jealous) and she can narrow down what she wants (not necessarily THE specific colleges) by looking at things slowly and as you are in the neighborhood.

We've done some of the same thing, only substitute dance for swim :) I *made* my dd look at Stanford when we were in California for dance, she was pleasantly surprised (but it still lacks some things on her list) and it confirmed other things on her list.

I'm a bit confused by your comment comparing with the lists on this board - is her list more selective? If she finds something now that is attractive and she's willing to lay out a plan to get there, she'll be in much better shape two years from now, when she actually begins the application process. :)

I would do what you're doing. If nothing else, you'll get the basics down--large v. small; rural v. urban; etc. I had an IRL friend tell us to do the same thing. I had to drag dd#1 to visit any college, but took dd#2 along when we went.

I think what you are doing is perfect.

I'm a bit confused by your comment comparing with the lists on this board - is her list more selective?

No, her list is much, much less selective. Sigh.

Top of the list is, of all places, Berea. :001_huh: Second is Davidson. Can you say polar opposites? lol

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC
added a bit more

We all have different kids with different gifts, aptitudes, etc. They're not all going the same route, and they shouldn't all go to the same college.

Don't feel self-conscious about your child's list of colleges -- it's not a competition! The point is to steer her towards the college that's right for her, not to impress the WTM board (or parents or neighbors or.....) I know you know that -- I just had to say it again. :D

BTW, Davidson is plenty competitive -- they rejected one of my children!:glare:

But life goes on -- and that kid is plenty happy at the college that did want her! :001_smile:

I would definitely not wait until your senior year. Most colleges like you to begin no later than your junior year. My dh is a professor at a Christian university,Harding University in Searcy, AR. The admissions people have special days/weekends during the year where juniors can come on campus, sit in on classes, meet with department heads to discuss majors, career choices, visit the dorms, take campus tours, etc. The admissions staff also want to start early to get your financial aid, scholarships going. By your senior year, it is often too late to be applying for certain scholarships.

So I think you are very wise to be thinking ahead.

Don't feel self-conscious about your child's list of colleges -- it's not a competition! The point is to steer her towards the college that's right for her, not to impress the WTM board (or parents or neighbors or.....) I know you know that -- I just had to say it again. :D

Yeah I know, I know. Even if she got in, she would just never fit in at one of the big ivies or Tier I schools, no matter how awesome it was. (It would be good to finally shut up the homeschool naysayers in the family though. Good for Mom's ego too, no doubt! LOL...)

As an example, we saw NC State in the fall and it made her practically hyperventilate - way too big, way too, ahem, not beautiful. Same for USC in Columbia - too many people, not enough grass and trees... She needs smaller, more hands-on, almost rural. Good thing she knows it and can ignore me. ;)

Davidson IS tough - the acceptance rate is around 26%!

Georgia