Menu

Early College

We have applied to early college at our local university for our rising 11th grader. This guarantees 60 college credits over 3 years (paid) for those interested in health related fields. My daughter likes music, psychology, pediatrics, so maybe there is a health field she could consider.

What are the risks of sending a homeschooler off basically for school in her junior year? She'd take a english/history combo highschool course, but college level math, science and electives. She has 15 college credits from community college, but those were easy classes compared to univerisity. Anyone tried this?

We have applied to early college at our local university for our rising 11th grader. This guarantees 60 college credits over 3 years (paid) for those interested in health related fields. My daughter likes music, psychology, pediatrics, so maybe there is a health field she could consider.

What are the risks of sending a homeschooler off basically for school in her junior year? She'd take a english/history combo highschool course, but college level math, science and electives. She has 15 college credits from community college, but those were easy classes compared to univerisity. Anyone tried this?

How old is she? Would she live at home or in the dorm? I was 16 and had just barely started driving when I started at a local University and I kind of wish I had done a gap year and started with my peers, or started with some easier courses. I started right off taking a very full load of science and math classes and it was a lot to deal with. I can understand wanting the 60 credits paid for - that's a very good deal.

I would only consider it if it were a live-at-home situation with a very short commute -- not if she were in a dorm. In our own situation we have no colleges or community colleges within driving distance so the deal you describe would not be an option. My daughter is also leaning toward pre-med (mainly since her dad is a physician) and the plan is for her to do all four of her high school years at home.

Dana

What happens if she changes her major to a non-health field? Or if she decides against a career in a health field? Does she have to pay back the tuition? How will she be able to do this? Or will she feel constrained to stay in a field she decides she doesn't want for financial reasons.

What will happen if whe decides to trasfer to another university and program? Will she be rejected without a high school diploma? Or if she doesn't get her AA or BS? She won't have a college degree or a high school diploma. You might want to have her college classes apply toward a homeschool diploma to prevent that snafu.

From your post, it doesn't sound like either you or she is sure of what she wants to major in. The free tuition is tempting, very tempting, but is it worth it in the long run? It might be worth it, if that's the only way she can get to college. Or if she has a real interest in the health fields. If she does, then I would consider the previous poster's concerns. I was offered the chance to skip my senior year in high school, but my mother refused to let me consider it for the social reasons. She had me skip KINDERGARTEN and regetted it my entire schooling career. And college brings socialization to a whole different level, especially if you're away from home.

As long as there isn't an issue regarding the major, I'd be cool with it for my daughter (my dd did start college at 15 and univ at 16). Different kids are different so you kinda have to take in account your kid. But generally, I don't think there is an issue with it for a capable student. College is easier than homeschool was :)

But there might be an issue with the major. I wouldn't let a school determine my kid's future. Your teen could change her mind a few times over the next couple years. I have been REALLY surprised how many changes there were in the teen years on topics that I thought SHE was sure about for years before.

ETA: the majority of people accelerated are just fine with it on all levels, including social. I think as long as you're mindful of YOUR child and HER needs, you'll PROBABLY make the right choice on that decision.