Menu

How do you do highschool transcripts?

Hi,

My oldest dd is nearing the highschool years, and I am totally clueless as to how to prepare a transcript. Right now we are planning on using the MFW for English/lit, history etc., TT for math & Apologia for science. The rest will fall into place later. I'm just curious, how do I figure out how many credits each course is worth. I guess my question boils down to is how do you prepare a transcript if you are not using an accredited correspondence course or something of the sort?

TIA,

Here is a sample of our transcript (I changed a good deal of information on it).

NOTE: This is an edit of another one. I don't know who so can't give credit for the original which had some differences, but I didn't start from scratch.

It didn't translate beautifully to google docs, unfortuantely; but you can read it there. http://docs.google.com/View?id=d6xb5kq_0gpp2rsd3

Here is a picture of it so you can see what it looks like put together. If you would like a copy (edit-able), I'd be glad to email it.

3554046980_12ee2a02e8.jpg?v=0

Edited by 2J5M9K

My oldest dd is nearing the highschool years, and I am totally clueless as to how to prepare a transcript.

... I'm just curious, how do I figure out how many credits each course is worth.

There are several ways of determining what constitutes a one credit course. First, if a textbook is for a standard course and your child finishes that textbook (i.e., Algebra 1 or Spanish 2), he or she would earn one credit.

For non-standard courses, you can base the credit on the number of hours spent on that course. (Of course, then there is the issue of determining what constitutes the correct number of hours. NARS considers 80 hours of work to be equivalent to one credit. That seems low to me -- I more commonly hear between 120 to 180 hours.)

Another possibility is to search for on-line syllabi to see what others consider to be a one credit course. For example, if you were to Google "high school syllabus Photography", you'd find some syllabi that might help you design a course. (If you take away the quotes, you get over 300,000 hits!) For less common courses, you might look for college syllabi. Bear in mind that a semester long college course is often considered equivalent to a year long high school course.

If you'd like to see another transcript sample, I'd be happy to share the one I made for my daughter. You can post here or send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni

Scroll down until you see the section that looks like this.http://www.covenant.edu/admissions/u.../home-schooled

Below are resources that you are welcome to use if they are helpful to you.

* Home-school transcript Editable Version | Printable Version

* Transcript sample Editable Version | Printable Version

* Transcript primer Editable Version | Printable Version

* GPA calculation table

Click on the "Editable" Homeschool transcript.

• 7 months later...
Scroll down until you see the section that looks like this.http://www.covenant.edu/admissions/u.../home-schooled

Below are resources that you are welcome to use if they are helpful to you.

* Home-school transcript Editable Version | Printable Version

* Transcript sample Editable Version | Printable Version

* Transcript primer Editable Version | Printable Version

* GPA calculation table

Click on the "Editable" Homeschool transcript.

This is the one we used. It was quite easy to use. I also included a list of the books ds read.

Right now we are planning on using the MFW for English/lit, history etc., TT for math & Apologia for science. The rest will fall into place later. I'm just curious, how do I figure out how many credits each course is worth.

Those courses should all be easy. Someone else has developed them and evaluated how much credit to give, and you just need to "do the program" and give the credit. Whether it takes your child longer or less time, it's still a full high school credit.

The tricky part is when you want to develop your own course -- though you're getting good advice on that.

Julie

P.S. Pamela, may I have a copy of your transcript to my e-mail, pretty please :)

Edited by Julie in MN