Menu

How much credit is given for health typically?

My students earned 1/2 credit for health. They also earned (up to) 1 credit for PE per year. My older daughter earned 2 credits for PE (1/2 credit per year), and my younger daughter has already earned 2 credits, with 2 years of high school remaining.

My students earned 1/2 credit for health. They also earned (up to) 1 credit for PE per year. My older daughter earned 2 credits for PE (1/2 credit per year), and my younger daughter has already earned 2 credits, with 2 years of high school remaining.

Now PE is something I would keep time for. How much time per week for .5 PE credit?

Thanks!

Laurie

I don't keep "time" even for PE. I did measure based on activity. My older dd did a unit of Pilates and Weight Training for 16 weeks where she set the alarm on her phone and exercised consistently 5X per week at 4 p.m. (grin). I gave her 1/2 credit for that. (She also did a lot of reading and planning and increased her fitness and flexibility.) She participated in a tae kwon do class twice a week for a year, and earned 1 credit for that (it happened to spread over two school years, and so 1/2 credit each). Finally, she began a running/walking routine, and kept it up 3X per week for a year. She did miss a week or two due to illness, and felt like she'd "maintained" not progressed. We decided it was worth another 1/2 credit.

I think 1/2 credit per year for moderate to regular exercise, and 1 credit for regular to "athletic" activity would be reasonable. I never felt it was necessary to include ability tests or add an academic component, but you certainly could. :)

I count credits by work accomplished rather than by hours. How much credit is usually given for finishing a typical high school health book?

I think it is standard in Illinois to do 1/2 credit for health, 1/2 credit for drivers ed, and then 3 more credits for PE. Usually health is given in freshman year and then drivers ed in sophmore or junior year (the semester student is 15 1/2).

We are doing "Total Health" and that will be 1/2 credit. For PE we aren't doing anything formal. Dh and I have a requirement for all our kids to do one physical extra curricular activity so this won't change once we start homeschooling.

Dd does Kung Fu as a competitor so she does 10-15 hours a week of training plus she does other physical activities such as playing basketball with siblings/neighbors, rides her bike, and lots of skateboarding. In all she does 20+ hours a week doing physical activity.

Ds does Kung Fu but not compete. He trains 3-4 hours a week. He also does bowling league (about 2 hours one day a week almost year round), and rides his bike, walks/hikes, plays with his siblings/neighbors outside. He does about 10 hours a week in physical activity.

In summer the kids swim alot too.

Anita