Menu

Fallacy Detective vs. Art of Argument

I own Art of Argument. It seems a lot harder, and less engaging. I think that you should try to get a look at it and assess whether your child is ready for it.

I do like FD and TT but they have pretty short lessons and are not terribly rigorous. Some are using just one of them and then launching into Art of Argument and then some more formal logic study. That seems like a reasonable stance to me, but DD, 12, is doing both FD and TT first because they are quite different and she enjoys them.

The Fallacy Detective and The Art of Argument both deal with fallacies exclusively. The Fallacy Detective introduces a particular fallacy, gives examples, and then requires students to identify fallacies in exercises included in each chapter. The Art of Argument includes all that is in The Fallacy Detective and adds to it more defining assignments, some writing assignments (paragraph), and it includes a script of two students and Socrates discussing fallacies. Both include hot topics, AoA more so. The Fallacy Detective is written in a more lighthearted manner.

The Argument Builder is a bridge text between logic and rhetoric. It includes some coverage of fallacies, but for the most part it teaches students to use Aristotle's common topics to construct arguments. Some exercises include student's identifying the common topics in various parts of historic writings from people such as Bacon, Augustine, Montaigne and more. There's a little bit on the rules and form of debate too.

HTH

• 11 months later...

Just fyi, AofA has been updated, the new edition is available this month. As to what has been updated. According to their facebook pages some changes include:

The new version includes:

-Rewrites for greater clarity

-Many more added and updated examples

-Additional "advertisement" illustrations

-Expanded Teacher's Edition including new tests and quizzes

HTH