Menu

Reading for 2nd grade? (considering HOD)

If DD didn't like more than half of the Sonlight readers, do you think she would like HOD better? She is about one step below Magic Tree House books in her willingness to read books. (She is a couple of steps ahead in her ability, but won't do that independently.) Everyone is saying that it is important to have children read good literature. Could you help me decide what to do with her. Thank you!

Guest bookwormmama

Which reading level was she reading in Sonlight? Was she doing Readers 1 or Regular 2 or Intermediate 2 Readers?

I have been eyeing HOD too as their Reading program looks fabulous and I hope someone will see this who has used HOD that can answer better than I can! I have an older daughter in Sonlight's Readers 2 Intermediate and she is LOVING the book selection in that category! She also did Readers 1 and did not like the books as much. From what I have seen and experienced, the book selections are better as they get more advanced.

Dont' know if that helps...

I wasn't sure if I could do HOD for just reading, or if it is part of their history programs.

She was in 2 Regular Readers. That was ages ago. I probably should check out the Intermediate. I actually have been meaning to, but I am thinking that they would be too much for her, considering Magic Tree House being a bit too much. What do you think?

HOD doesn't really have a reading program unless you add in Drawn into the Heart of Reading for reading comprehension. They have an emergent reader list--you could just buy those books if you are just looking for readers. There is no instruction for reading included for Beyond, Bigger, etc.

Guest bookwormmama

Carmen,

The Sonlight Readers 2 Intermediate starts out with the first book being An I Can Read Book Level 3 "The Long Way Westward". These books are easier than Magic Tree House books. Sometimes only a few sentences on a page. The books progress in difficulty at a leisurely pace and my daughter and I have both been very pleased with them. The books get longer and more difficult, but even by the end they are still considered short chapter books. She will easily be able to read Magic Tree House books at the end of the year. She loves her reading books and sometimes will skip ahead if she can. Her reading has really improved greatly this year! I highly recommend checking it out.

Carmen,

The Sonlight Readers 2 Intermediate starts out with the first book being An I Can Read Book Level 3 "The Long Way Westward". These books are easier than Magic Tree House books. Sometimes only a few sentences on a page. The books progress in difficulty at a leisurely pace and my daughter and I have both been very pleased with them. The books get longer and more difficult, but even by the end they are still considered short chapter books. She will easily be able to read Magic Tree House books at the end of the year. She loves her reading books and sometimes will skip ahead if she can. Her reading has really improved greatly this year! I highly recommend checking it out.

Thank you so much. Now what else should I order from Sonlight while I am at it? I have to save on shipping, you know. :tongue_smilie:

Guest bookwormmama

Here is the book list for the Readers 2 Intermediate program in order of when they are used...

Clara and the Bookwagon

The Long Way to a New Land

The Long Way Westward

Prairie School

Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie

Riding the Pony Express

The Secret Valley

Third Grade Detectives #1

The Chalk Box Kid

The Paint Brush Kid

The Littles

Third-Grade Detectives #2