Menu

Science for ADHD high schooler (x-post from SN board)

I am trying to figure out what to do for science for my daughter who is ADHD and entering 9th grade. We haven't done much of anything for science (just getting math and English done has been a chore sometimes). She is an excellent reader (started when she was 4), but needs work on writing. She can't stand textbooks (not even Apologia ... we've tried it). Does anyone have any suggestions of what to use with her? :001_huh:

progress.gif

I am trying to figure out what to do for science for my daughter who is ADHD and entering 9th grade. We haven't done much of anything for science (just getting math and English done has been a chore sometimes). She is an excellent reader (started when she was 4), but needs work on writing. She can't stand textbooks (not even Apologia ... we've tried it). Does anyone have any suggestions of what to use with her? :001_huh:

progress.gif

Hmmm. This is tough because a lot of important things aren't found on TV or are written about for the popular press. But here goes:

Check out the Annenburg programs. There are several good ones, including The Mechanical Universe, and one on geology. One of our local community colleges carry them as part of their distance learning program and there's no charge for watching the videos.

For the Physical sciences:

The Story of Science by Joy Hakim - spine, does include some formulas

The Chemical History of a Candle, Faraday

The Isaac Newton School of Driving: Physics and Your Car, Parker (per reviewers, there are a few errors. watch for them)

For geology (Some of these are things I did with ds to supplement a text, but they're pretty good and complete)

Earth Story - BBC (You'll need a dvd player that plays European DVD's on a US TV. Can buy or modify your own)

Living Rock - US Geological Survey

The Making of a Continent - Ron Redfern old but good, was on PBS. If you ever find a DVD of it, let me know.

Roadside Geology series.

Annanberg series.

For Biology

There's tons of videos and good books on the macro biology and evolution level. The problem is the microbiology.

Games/simulations and labs

Check CPO for games and labs. Some you can construct yourself, but the atom game has game cards. Ds learned a lot from it and it has several levels.

Also check the web for other games and labs to learn principals

Classes/camps - check your museums, zoos, and nature centers for programs.

I think you're going to have to be very involved in science to piece together a good program. ETA Based on my ds's reactions, I don't think TTC science courses will hold your dd's attention, but you can always borrow some from the library.

Edited by Kathy in MD

progress.gif

This is better than nothing...

http://www.learningabledkids.com/science/index.htm

http://www.mrenns.com/

http://www.hippocampus.org/AP%20Biology%20I

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/windows.html

Edited by LUV2EDU

progress.gif

Does she have plans to go to college? Cuz if she does, she's going to have to learn to "stand" textbooks, not only to "stand" them, but to learn from them. In elementary school, you can (and maybe should) do science with lots of experiments and "living" books, but it would be tough to get high school level material without texts in most cases.

Oldest ds was kinda shell-shocked the first time he took an outside course and used a textbook. (He was in 9th grade). It took him a while to learn to learn from a text book. He eventually got it, but it was a new experience for him. He does fine now.

I have another son who is ADHD and he took his first outside course this year with a text. I had him underline what is important in the chapter to make sure he is evaluating what is important as he reads. He's in 6th grade.

So what I'm saying is that if your dd is college-bound, the sooner you start getting her used to texts, the better. I'm not sure if you can give a good high school science course without one unless you are a superscience girl yourself and very creative as a teacher. My friends that are superscience girls do use textbooks for their kids in high school science.

I don't think she is planning on going to college ... at least not a 4-year one. She does want to take a Wedding Planner course online and possibly photography. She also likes writing stories. She has anxiety issues and doesn't handle being around large groups of people so ... I would say most likely not.

I don't think she is planning on going to college ... at least not a 4-year one. She does want to take a Wedding Planner course online and possibly photography. She also likes writing stories. She has anxiety issues and doesn't handle being around large groups of people so ... I would say most likely not.

These two courses I give two thumbs up.

Weddings Beautiful WorldWide

http://www.weddingsbeautiful.com/

QC Wedding Planning

http://www.qcweddingplanning.com/qcwedding/

General Sciences- The Teaching Company Joy's of Science and the book Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy (We haven't used this, but I have a friend who did.)

Environmental Sciences- WinterPromise Sizzle, Solve, and Survive (I don't know anyone who has used this, but it looks fun.)

Biological Sciences- WinterPromise Human Body & Forensics (Middle ds will be using this next year.)

Astronomy- my ds earned a half credit in astronomy using the astronomy in WinterPromise S&S alongside our additions of DK's Universe the definitive visual guide, The Story of Astronomy, and George's Secret Key to the Universe

Physics- K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics with Hewitt's High School Conceptual Physics This is a text, but it is conceptual and not mathematical physics (This is what my middle ds is using now and will be finishing this next year.)

Chemistry- Another text but not a rigorous college prep one. With middle ds I plan to use Real Science 4 Kids level 2 and supplement the few high school level things that it doesn't cover per the author's blog entry from July 17, 2008. http://gravitaspublications.com/_blo...lications_Blog

HTH-

Mandy