Menu

X-Post from SN board ... history/lit questions

I am planning on doing a combination history/literature thing with her starting with the ancients. Even though she reads well, I don't think she could handle the Great Books. She does have comprehension and vocabulary issues. (In case you didn't read my other post ... she is entering 9th grade and has ADHD). I am trying to put together a list of books that fall in the literature and/or history catagory that she can read through and possibly have her answer the set of questions listed in the logic stage section of TWTM.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

I am planning on doing a combination history/literature thing with her starting with the ancients. Even though she reads well, I don't think she could handle the Great Books. She does have comprehension and vocabulary issues. (In case you didn't read my other post ... she is entering 9th grade and has ADHD). I am trying to put together a list of books that fall in the literature and/or history catagory that she can read through and possibly have her answer the set of questions listed in the logic stage section of TWTM.

This one I'm better on than the science post. :D (and given her vocabulary and comprehension problems, you may want to look over The Chemical History of a Candle and The Newton Driving School before assigning it.)

For you, get I Read It But I Don't Get It. It will help you teach comprehension across the curriculum. It's an easy read, but you have to remember to incorporate it.

Because we're "off" schedule, I've been mostly following the logic program for history with my current 8th grader, but adding a few of the rhetoric level books. The harder books we read together outloud. This way I can stop to check if ds understood the vocabulary or the material. More important, I was modeling how to read difficult material, as recommended by the I Read It.... book. And with Plato, I wasn't faking it either. :tongue_smilie: Ds and I had to work together to try to figure it out.

Next year, I'll be using TTC tapes for the spine instead of the DK book. This will reduce his reading load, help him with pronunciation and give him practice in taking lecture notes. But I'll still be including a mixture of Great Books and very good books for the historical literature side. And the tougher books we'll read together. BTW, I wouldn't be basing the course around TTC courses if history wasn't his passion. He still finds many of the lecturers boring. But because he also has auditory problems, we may have to return to a book spine. It's a problem of which LD is the less severe.

This one is not literature, but history: Power Basics World History 1. It is written at a 4th grade level, but covers the information. I have used them effectively as a spine.

For a complete package with lit, look at WinterPromise Quest for the Ancient World.

HTH-

Mandy