Menu

Diana Waring for High School?

Hi ladies,

I'm new here and have gleaned lots of good advice from this high school board already. My son will be in 9th grade this fall and I was wondering if anyone had used Diana Waring's history for high school. I'm so drawn to this type of curriculum. My concern is whether or not is at level for high school. I love that she has teamed up with Answers in Genesis. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Cornflower (Cindy)

I have not personally used it but reviewed a highschoolers work

who did. It is definately a great curriculum for the history buff

child. It incorporates science but I think in a year it was only

15 hours so definately need a separate science.

Carol

I used her 2nd year of high school to cover the middle ages. She offered a variety of ways to explore each topic. She pointed out all kinds of connections across the cultures such as artwork. After trying a wide variety of things for my dd, I felt this was great for middle history for her. She didn't overwhelm with textbooks that dd didn't remember anyways. She didn't expect her to learn lessons strictly through reading literature. She brought God into the rest of life.

I probably won't use this with my next child, since I love MFW. However, I did hang onto it in case I want to use it as a supplement or as a backup if I want to delve into middle history with him. So I do like it.

I didn't count a science credit.

Hi ladies,

I'm new here and have gleaned lots of good advice from this high school board already. My son will be in 9th grade this fall and I was wondering if anyone had used Diana Waring's history for high school. I'm so drawn to this type of curriculum. My concern is whether or not is at level for high school. I love that she has teamed up with Answers in Genesis. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Cornflower (Cindy)

Cindy,

I tried Diana's newest edition (AIG) with my two boys this year. My oldest (9th) and youngest (6th). I've got to say though that my boys, although we loved how Diana brought excitement through her audio lectures to our history study and also how she keeps God central in all she teaches, her 4 week approach had more hands on/activity than my boys cared for. My oldest is a bookworm and so I was scurrying to locate some of her recommendations because he was so not interested in the project recommendations. My two boys aren't really into play acting history scenes. . .they are more "just give me the facts, Ma'am".

So if your son is into projects and skits, he might very well love this approach to learning history. If he isn't, I would suggest maybe something else. We got through only half the units in Ancients this year before I sold it. It was a hard decision for me because as I said, I love Diana's enthusiasm but the whole approach just didn't suit my two boys. :(

Thank you ladies for your feedback. It's given me pause to possibly reconsider. My son loves to read as well. He's not at all a skit person. Part of what draws me to this curriculum is that after my son reads a book, he love's to listen to it on tape. I just think he would enjoy the audio part of this to mix things up a little.

Thanks again!

Cornflower

Thank you ladies for your feedback. It's given me pause to possibly reconsider. My son loves to read as well. He's not at all a skit person. Part of what draws me to this curriculum is that after my son reads a book, he love's to listen to it on tape. I just think he would enjoy the audio part of this to mix things up a little.

Thanks again!

Cornflower

Yes! I would definitely recommend the audio lectures. We loved them!