Menu

Need help choosing phonics/writing for 1st Grader

I need help choosing the right phonics and writing curriculum for my rising 1st grader. We used MFW A to Z for Kindergarten. Since we started however, I have decided to follow Latin Centered Curriculum. Since I'm not going to use a "packaged" curriculum, I'm lost as to what to use for these areas. She is a strong reader, but needs the phonics. I just did the placement test for Explode the Code, and it places her in book 3. My main concern is preparing her for CW Aesop once she is in 3rd grade. I have a current 3rd grader using Aesop, but he has only been home educated since this past January. I see that CW has just come out with the primers, but I'm not sure if she could use these for 1st grade, and if so, what would we use for 2nd?

I am confident in every other subject area, but need some advice for phonics and writing.

Thanks!

Ashley

www.startemiusacademy.blogspot.com

I'm not qualified to tell you from an LCC perspective, but I know Spectrum Phonics Grade 1 has worked very well for our Ker and we'll be using Spectrum Phonics Grade 2 for the same ds when he's in First starting in September. It sounds as if Grade 2 would be better for your first grader as well as it's a bit on the easy side. The workbooks are also inexpensive.

One that's more expensive and I hear good things about is MCP Phonics.

Good luck finding something that works for you, and have your dc keep on reading :)

I've used both Plaid Phonics and ETC and they are both good workbook series. You could also use Phonics Pathways--this has been our core book for Phonics for all my boys.

For writing, I really, really, really like Writing With Ease. My current writing plan for my younger three is WWE into Aesop.

Used McRuffy's for phonics/reading for my 1st grader this year and loved it. He's reading way above grade level, but the phonics/grammar lessons are on his level or sometimes a little challenging. Tests, games, and reviews are built in. You can see samples at mcruffypress.com.

(We used the color version, which is apparently somewhat different in content than the B&W one).

Book one. I am using it to get ready for Writing Tales!

Phonics: Children should have mastery reading and spelling with these first 31 sounds before moving on to more advanced concepts. After your child has mastered these sounds we recommend the book, "Recipe for Reading", by Nina Traub.

More on phonics: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=807431&postcount=23

What is your favorite K Phonics / teaching reading curriculum

The truly LCC way would be to teach them to read Latin before teaching them to read English, with syllables:

As Geraldine L. Rodgers says in her article "Why Noah Webster's Way Was the Right Way,"

The teaching of beginning reading remained unchanged until the eighteenth century A. D. Children first learned the alphabet, and then learned the syllabary, but they continued to spell each syllable as it was practiced, using the current letter names (which still did little to demonstrate their sounds: ell, oh, gee = log). It was only after they learned the syllabary that they read connected texts, usually Latin prayers after about 300 A. D. They then read those texts syllable by syllable until they became proficient readers.

Until the sixteenth century A. D. in English-speaking countries, beginning reading was taught in Latin, and, in much of Europe, beginning reading continued to be taught in Latin until the eighteenth century. Since beginning reader did not yet know Latin, obviously they were reading print purely by its “soundâ€, and not by its “meaning†(such as Pa - ter nos - ter for Our Father.)

A bit less extreme is Webster's Speller, English syllables. It was very effective for us!

My five year old works well in these. We've whipped through books 3, 4 and are finishing 4 1/2 in about a week. I like it because it has reading, spelling, writing and comprehension. It's straight forward and she works quite well without my assistance. The books are reasonably priced. You could try one out over the summer and see if it works for the both of you. It is heavy on writing though.

Julie in Monterey

Spalding. It covers reading, spelling, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing (with the addition of the teacher guide it can also be a comprehensive grammar and writing). Spalding plus anything else for composition would be a complete English course.

I need help choosing the right phonics and writing curriculum for my rising 1st grader. We used MFW A to Z for Kindergarten. Since we started however, I have decided to follow Latin Centered Curriculum. Since I'm not going to use a "packaged" curriculum,

Did she do well with MFW A to Z? I think that MFW 1st would fit into a LCC first grade nicely. Phonics/copywork/bible stories/nature study are scheduled. They have a nice recommendation for art study/music in their optional resources. The recommendation with MFW 1 is a read aloud period each day but you get to pick the book from Honey for a Child's Heart. You could easily substitute the LCC recommendations for Fairy Tales/ Tall Tales, history, etc.

Did she do well with MFW A to Z? I think that MFW 1st would fit into a LCC first grade nicely. Phonics/copywork/bible stories/nature study are scheduled. They have a nice recommendation for art study/music in their optional resources. The recommendation with MFW 1 is a read aloud period each day but you get to pick the book from Honey for a Child's Heart. You could easily substitute the LCC recommendations for Fairy Tales/ Tall Tales, history, etc.
Well, of course! MFW 1 is very strong on phonics and writing from what I have heard. :)