Menu

Toys for Boys...what do 7 and 8 year old boys like for gifts?

My son is getting ready to turn 8. I went out to buy gifts tonight and came back with none. I want to get him something that will benefit him in the long run and that he finds enjoyable. We are on somewhat of a budget, so no suggestions for Wii's :). Items that would be around the $20-$30 price range. We have a tradition of getting one gift for each year of life. So, he is due 8 this year.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Terri

My son is getting ready to turn 8. I went out to buy gifts tonight and came back with none. I want to get him something that will benefit him in the long run and that he finds enjoyable. We are on somewhat of a budget, so no suggestions for Wii's :). Items that would be around the $20-$30 price range. We have a tradition of getting one gift for each year of life. So, he is due 8 this year.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Terri

My ds is 8. He loves legos, bionicles, k-nex, pop up books like ones that turn into a castle or pirate ship, games like Battle Ship. This is his favorite things.

Lightsabers and cap guns are played with here. A bow and arrow and a sling shot are on the wish list for two of my boys.

The Klutz Paper Airplane book is great. My middle son got something called the Boys Box at Barnes and Noble (it's for ages 8 & up) and it has a compass, bug catcher, rope, marbles, paper and a small book that teaches how to use all these things.

Like others have mentioned, Legos are a hit. So are K'nex. K'nex has some kits that have pieces so you can connect K'nex and Legos and my boys enjoy the few pieces like that they have.

My guys each get a pocket knife on their 8th birthday.

For Christmas my ds9 got a small toolbox filled with real tools. He loves that.

Well, I haven't gotten them yet as the birthday is next month. I need to hustle.

These books are on the short list. Our local bookstore doesn't have them on hand, which is how I prefer to preview them, so I will have to take a stab in the dark at amazon. I will probably get more than one of these:

Whittling

Carving This one seems to involve less use of a knife but I might get it anyways.

Whittling

Soap Carving

model kits

remote control vehicle

spy kit (huge hit! we just bought it the scholastic sale for $5)

rocket

magnifying glass

terrarium/aquarium; I actually just saw in Timberdoodle a book/dvd about how to train a goldfish to do tricks

soccer goal for backyard

Legos, bioncacles, K'Nex, Magnetix -almost any building type thing

Spy toys, Magic trick stuff (Dollar Tree has some stuff that is good)

Crossbows and Catapults

Elementeo, Battleship

Stomp Rockets

Nerf guns and swords

Paper Airplane kits

Any science kit or building kit

Pocketknife

Dangerous Book for Boys

Legos are the only thing my almost 8yo twin boys play with on a regular basis. They love to draw so any art supplies are great. Since the warmer weather is upon us (one can only hope :001_smile:) any nature or sport type gifts would be great to encourage him to be outside more.

My 8 year old son is very much into Legos, Bakugon, anything to do with bugs (insectlore.com is a great place), computer animating, and making his own videos.

We got him this for Christmas and he LOVES, LOVES, LOVES it

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Corefx_p/853-853.htm

We also got him this with the above program, but I don't think you need it, so you could add it later if you wanted:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-G-Pen-5-5-Inch-Tablet-Cordless/dp/B000OE074G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242400065&sr=8-2

I have a ds(8) who does not play with legos, K'nex, Kapla, bow n arrow, etc for more than a day or two every 2-3 months. He putters with various things short term and reads a lot and works on word processing programs on the computer. His camera is the only item he has used almost every day for the last year and a half but it is probably out of your range at $100-we got him a discontinued model of an adult digital camera. In your price range his favorite presents would be a Secret Code Kit or a Magic Kit. The brand probably does not matter. He has returned to these "toys" over and over.

Susan

A bb gun (if you are the type of family who goes for this type of thing) You can find some in the $30 range or if you keep an eye on the used adds you can sometimes find a very nice one at that price.

Edited by pqr

Guest tyfb

My almost 8 year old son loves legos and magic tricks. Melissa and Doug make a couple of cute magic trick sets that have been much loved at our house. Paper airplane books and the Dangerous Book for Boys are also favorites.

ginny