Menu

Beginning High School Questions

Admin Options

As my son will be entering 9th grade this fall, I am all "ears" to hear ideas on home schooling and which curriculums are good to use.

I also left a message on the "Around the World in 180 Days" forum asking if anyone has ever used Around the World in 180 Days for 9th grade geography and what books or curriculum is needed to go along with it since it is non-inclusive in itself.

Also, for Apologia Biology, what is the best deal on a microscope and what kind is needed for it?

Does anyone use a good writing program or just a resource book like Writer's Inc.?

I was considering to continue using Total Language Plus for Language Arts. Is that a good idea?

And what is the best High School resource book to use/buy?

Hi,

You must have copy-pasted some links onto your post. I think you should be able to edit it?

Around the World can be a complete "social studies" credit. Make sure you get the teacher guide with the "answers." It is completely a research course, and some kids might not be ready for that much independence yet.

We got our microscope at Sonlight. It's a "real" microscope & reasonably priced.

If you use TLP, I think they recommend 4 book studies a year, using high school level literature. It could be complete, depending on how much of it you use, what your student's needs are, etc. Language arts is the broadest subject, and in high school you really want to make sure all the foundation is there & the student moves to the next level.

Are you looking for a resource book for you or for your student?

Enjoy your time with your child!

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I had forgotten the exact title for this link and didn't find it until tonight. I wrote it down for future memory. I'll check out the websites for the microscope. I was looking at Rainbow Resources earlier. For Language Arts, do you means to use a separate program plus use a writing course and, if so, what do you suggest? I'll check out the ones you mentioned too.

I definitely recommend you read WTM all the way through. There are some great recommendations for curriculum. To choose language arts curriculum for a high schooler, it is really going to depend on what your student is doing now. Does he need some formal grammar? Has he been doing much writing already? Writeshop, while designed to be used in 7th and 8th grade, may be perfect if your student has not been taught much about good writing in school. IEW is another good writing curriculum. There are many good grammar programs such as Analytical Grammar and Easy Grammar. As far as buying a microscope is concerned, Apologia says you need one that goes to 400X. I got a great deal on one on ebay several years ago, before we even thought of homeschooling.