Menu

Spalding Questions

I should first introduce myself to this forum, as I think this is my second post. I've lurked for a while and I love this forum because everyone seems so engaged and respectful at the same time. I've barely begun formal homeschooling, as my oldest is 4, but I'm excited to get started!

I have a few questions about the Spalding Method and thought some of you might be able to help:

1. Has anyone used the Teacher's Guides and do you find them necessary? I've been reading through the WRTR, and the information is quite superfluous. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I'm missing by not having the Teacher's Guides.

2. Has anyone used a separate handwriting curriculum with this program? I bought one and then started actually reading WRTR, and now I'm wondering if it's even necessary??

3. Any tips for using this program that you think might be helpful for someone just getting started??

Thanks!!

I like Writing Road To Reading. I might be more partial to it, because it's been around our house since my mom took WRTR classes....about 27 years ago. The new ones have some "improvements" which make it very close to the other book you'll hear about on here.... Wanda Sanseri's - Spell to Write and Readwww.exodusbooks.com/category.aspx?id=5332

I like the cursive writing from Cursive First An Introduction to Cursive Penmanship by Elizabeth FitzGerald

2nd edition from LITHBTH Educational Services for Kindergarten-4th grade $15.00

There's a great "why" of teaching cursive first, from dexterity to the fact that it's more "classical" because that's how children were taught until the last few decades...in most of the world. (That uses our alphabet)

Also, it makes a mention of the fact that you revert to the first way you learn, which may be one of the reasons that teens/adults have such horrible handwriting. When you look at someone who's really old, you see this nice handwriting that was obviously drilled. I believe that what they use to teach was either Spencerian or close to it.... They learned to print when they needed to do map work in older grades.

Carrie:-)

I should first introduce myself to this forum, as I think this is my second post. I've lurked for a while and I love this forum because everyone seems so engaged and respectful at the same time. I've barely begun formal homeschooling, as my oldest is 4, but I'm excited to get started!

Welcome. :-)

Has anyone used the Teacher's Guides and do you find them necessary?

The teacher guides are great, but I don't think you'd need it for more than one year, and maybe not at all if you're not going to incorporate the grammar and composition quite so much.

I've been reading through the WRTR, and the information is quite superfluous.

Nothing is superfluous. Really. :-)

I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I'm missing by not having the Teacher's Guides.

The Teacher Guides do give you a pretty decent daily plan; remember, though, that people have been teaching Spalding for over 50 years without those guides.

Has anyone used a separate handwriting curriculum with this program? I bought one and then started actually reading WRTR, and now I'm wondering if it's even necessary??

No, it isn't necessary at all.

Any tips for using this program that you think might be helpful for someone just getting started??

Read the manual (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual.) Cover to cover, more than once. Make notes. Everything you need to know is in there.

If you decide not to get the teacher guide, you'll need the Spelling Assessment Manual.

Thanks for all the great information. I'm on the fence about doing cursive first, but I will definitely check out that curriculum.

Do any of you use WRTR for the writing, as well. It seems like a lot of people use it for spelling and reading, but not writing as much. Is the writing comprehensive enough? Do you need a supplemental grammar curriculum?

I started with WRTR, threw it at the wall a few times, finally conquered it, then moved on to SWR when I realized how much more it would give me. (dictation sentences, enrichment ideas, etc.) I really like FLL for the early grammar days. We started it the 2nd half of K5, when it seemed like we were ready for a little something extra. On the writing, I would suggest getting WWE and using it. The WTM is right on for writing, so there's no reason to fiddle with the WRTR stuff. You *can* turn WRTR into your complete LA, but I never felt the need with so much good stuff in the WTM approach. (wing it yourself vs. do what SWB says)

BTW, the method, as a way of learning to read, worked out FABULOUSLY well for us, highly recommend. AAS wasn't around when I started, but it's a similar product you might investigate. I also like the spiraling dictation sentences of Spelling Plus. You wouldn't use them with a beginner, more like 1st or 2nd grade. We also used the sentences in the Wise Guide of SWR for dictation. The whole approach is pretty flexible and can be whatever you want it to be.

Thank you so much for all the great information. I was looking at FLL and WWE and thought they would complement WRTR nicely. The more I look at SWR, the more appealing it seems. I do love the in depth phonics approach that the Spalding method offers, but it doesn't mean that others haven't come up with better/more creative ways to teach it. I will check out AAS, too. Have you heard much about the Phonics Road to Reading, which is supposed to be based on the same method?

Phonics Road is fine. Get the preview dvd. It doesn't come with any of the practice and enrichment things SWR. The explanation is on the dvd's, not in a written tm. That's going to appeal to some people and not others. The reading included is minimal, one book a semester, and schooly kinds of stuff for the writing from it, but some people like it.