Menu

My dd doesn't want me to teach her.....

She wants to go with outside sources.

So, I'm in the process of lining up classes for her junior year. But I'm at a loss for 3 classes. I'd like to consolidate the source I go to so I'm not working through 5 different companies! For instance I could work with Hewitt's maybe the LL course for english, except she really needs interactive help with Geometry (and Chemistry). She currently is using TT, but she needs a teacher to interact with.

Geometry - ?

Spanish - Community college (fall semester only allowed 2 per)

Drawing I - Community college fall semester

World History - Hewitt's teacher services (she'll submit work to them)

English - Hewitt's?

SAT Prep - Spring semester at community college

Chemistry - ?

On top of all this, she is an outstanding swimmer with a chance for athletic scholarship money and I have been recently hearing of scary things about NCAA requirements for homeschooled athletes.

I just want to really get her transcript in order. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Whitney

I don't know your CC but around here I have heard many older, wiser homeschooling moms counsel against taking CC courses like Chemistry unless your student is 1)really, really good at sciences or 2)you know the CC science course is really just high school level. The CC around here is fairly rigorous and the homeschooled high schoolers were struggling/failing if they hadn't had already done a sweep through of the subject before. I first heard this advice from a mom who had a science background and whose daughters were both going on to study science at a 4 year college. But the Biology and Chemistry at the CC were still both very hard for them. Same with any advanced mathematics. Even if the Chemistry course is truly a high school level course, the CC classes tend to cram what is the equivelent of a year's worth of high school work into a semester and that still means lots of intensive work.

I have no idea what your situation is so this advice might be useless but it is the common wisdom around here (Northern VA) for taking courses at the CC.

She wants to go with outside sources.

So, I'm in the process of lining up classes for her junior year. But I'm at a loss for 3 classes. I'd like to consolidate the source I go to so I'm not working through 5 different companies!

No btdt experience, but couldn't you do all of that through Keystone?

HTH-

Mandy

Make sure the cc classes will not be considered as starting the 5-year eligibility "clock." You might want to inquire with the NCAA clearinghouse about what they considered to be high school-this has tripped people up in the past. Of course, swimming scholarships are unlikely to be significant (few sports outside of football and basketball offer full scholarships to all but the top performers, particularly given the current state of finances, though there are exceptions.)

The Potter's School has tons of online options in all subject areas and has both Geometry and Chemistry. I believe their enrollment for new students has opened. Classes generally fill quickly, but there are usually lots of class times for the maths and sciences to choose from. Our dc have taken lots of courses from TPS including chemistry. We've been pleased with them. Here's a link to TPS: http://www.pottersschool.org/

Another option would be Scholars Online. I've heard good comments about them too and dd has taken a playwriting course from them which we were very pleased with. I think they have both courses you're looking for. Here's their link: http://www.scholarsonline.org/Info/index.php