Menu

Lemons? LOTS of lemons? What can I do with them?

You can juice them and freeze them. I have a lemon tree and that is what I do with mine. I have lemon juice year round. The easiest way (more work at the beginning though) is to freeze them in ice trays and then pop out and put into a ziploc bag.

WOW - you guys are fast! I do use lemon peel gratings in real soap. Lemon juice doesn't hold up to the lye, I need essential oil for that.

I'm not much of a baker (lol even if it is my last name), but dh is. Maybe I juice them all and freeze in the ice cube trays.

Does anyone have an idiot-proof recipe for lemon curd? I'd love to try that.

Hi Amy,

Hot water lemon drink is suppose to be good for your liver. Just heat 8oz water in microwave and pop in one of the lemon ice cubes that Daisy suggested making. Drink in the morning to get you hydrated and jump start your liver.

P.S. Your soap was a big hit this holiday. I ordered several bars as stocking stuffers for my sisters. I really didn't want to give the brandied pear soap away. Next year I am ordering extra for me! Loved your packaging too.

Ferdie

send me whatever you have left and I'll make the rest into lemon curd for all the residents of Foil Town! Tra la!!:D

:pI wish that would work! Can't you just move here?

Stephanie - I remember doing the highlight thing in jr high as well. I'm a little askeered to try it now. Wonder if one of the boys will let me experiment.

Of course you're out of the brandied pear -- it's all at my house! Bwahaha. (Not really. Wishful thinking.)

Lemons require lemon curd. (I swear I posted this already but I can't find it.) Make some for the people you want to impress and they'll follow you around with their tongues on the pavement. Or send me the lemons and I'll make some for all the lovely neighbors in Foil Town. :p

Oops. It's up there, of course. Mocking me. Sheesh.

Haven't read the other replies, but what about making lemon syrup? It keeps indefinitely and you can use it later to make lemonade, lemon-soaked cake, add to fruit punches. You can find recipes by Googling. Here is one:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lemon-syrup

Others I have seen online incorporate grated lemon rind too. My bet is you could also can the honey syrup to preserve it even longer. I would probably experiment with it to make lemon muffins.

In the top of a double boiler, melt 1 stick butter. Remove from heat.

Beat 3 eggs until light and fluffy.

Stir eggs into butter.

Add 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup lemon juice to mixture.

Return double boiler to heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until curd is very thick (About 20-30 minutes).

This will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator & makes 1 pint of curd.