Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. That's interesting. Ours doesn't make a noise. We haven't had it that long but I haven’t found the cycling to be a problem so far. We like the ultra low simmer compared to gas. Husband cooks meat and likes the extremely high heat for searing. He also cooks Chinese food and is happy with his flat bottomed wok.
  3. That's quite an autocorrect, lol. It made me wonder where the name formica came from, so I looked it up: Electrical engineers Daniel J. O'Conor and Herbert A. Faber discovered that high-pressure plastic resins could be used to make electrical parts, replacing the mineral mica, and established the Formica Products Company in 1913. As they were searching for a substitute β€œfor” the insulation material β€œmica,” they coined the name β€œFormica.”
  4. Today
  5. When my gas cooktop died, I bought a couple of portable induction hobs to tide me over until I can do a full gut-job. When I was originally planning the remodel, I was very gung-ho about switching to induction for environmental reasons, but now that I've actually used it for a while, I've changed my mind. One issue is the super high-pitched hum; it comes and goes, and one burner is worse than the other, but it absolutely drives me nuts. I thought it might just be a function of less expensive portable burners, but I've read the same complaint about full size cooktops and stoves, and there's no way I could put up with that every time I cook for the rest of my life. Another big issue for me is that the heat cycles on and off, especially at lower temperatures. So if I'm trying to keep a pot at a low simmer, what I actually get is a pot that goes from no bubbles to boiling to no bubbles to boiling every few seconds or so. I want even heat, not constant cycling on and off. ETA: I thought of another thing β€” the only part of the pan that really gets hot is the part that is over the magnet. So for example, my portable burners have 2 concentric circles and if the pot is smaller than the outer circle, even by a fraction of an inch, only the inner circle heats. And if the pan is much bigger than the outer circle, you can clearly see the circle of heat in the middle of the pan and everything around that circle does not get nearly as hot. I eat a lot of stir fries and I have a very large pan, and there's just no way to get the edges of the pan hot enough to cook the food evenly. I've cooked with gas most of my life, with the exception of the 10 years I was in the UK, when I had a glass top halogen stove. Induction is definitely much faster and more responsive than electric or halogen, but the noise and the cycling on and off are dealbreakers for me.
  6. We bought a cheap single induction hob to play with in advance. We are converts. We've had our big one for a few weeks and love it. Very responsive. We have scratched the surface with our cast iron pans but we decided not to be precious about that. The single plug in was very helpful during the remodel.
  7. We are doing a kitchen remodel and waited until we had enough money to plumb for gas. Our kitchen people suggested I look at induction because the cost of bringing gas to the house and then through the house is pretty high. I have had a glass top electric for 10 years that I HATE. I miss the responsiveness of gas. The ability to adjust the temperature and have it go up or down immediately. To have a consistent medium heat. To not overheat pans trying to get them to a temperature for cooking in some reasonable time frame. I know about the pans needed for induction. I need new pans anyways and use a lot of cast iron so not a problem. What else to consider? I especially want to hear from people who cook a lot and have used both for a good length of time (like more than just on vacation or something). My husband is pushing for gas because he thinks I will be disappointed that we didn't do it as I have wanted it every single day for 10 years and love it when I'm at my parents etc. We had gas for 12 years in our previous house. So it's a known. I know I will like it. What I don't know is if I would like induction so it's a risk. I might love it. But I don't know and can't know without trying it. So I'm trying to crowd source especially for those who have used both. And cook a lot.
  8. Might not be a bad thing to have introduce her to your friends/acquaintances as your husband’s ex. Better than she spinning whatever tale she wants to spin to them.
  9. I am too new to be known but I think I could pick out Lori or 8filltheheart by their posts.
  10. Sometimes it is easy to link people to usernames by health issues posted. I agree. If I bother to change my username, I would change my avatar at the same time and change what I post. @Ausmumof3 however, if someone has time and want to figure out what someone’s new username is, search for old threads and look at the username attached to the likes. Then confirm by checking the profile. I think the profile list previous usernames.
  11. https://www.edx.org/learn/ap/harvard-university-cs50-s-ap-r-computer-science-principles
  12. When I was looking for work I couldn’t help but notice that there were tons of job postings for vet techs AND office help for dentists. It made me wonder what was up in these two businesses.
  13. https://1600.io/p/1600-io-sat-math-orange-book if you want SAT-specific prep
  14. Watched the second Downton Abbey movie with Dd. Reading a bit before bed. I am enjoying The Hobbit very much, even on the 10+ reread!
  15. I would talk about bushfires, Australia, or whatever random event is going on in the world and give myself away in no time. I’m also quite slack about grammar and spelling on the forum.
  16. lucky mama? Or Luckymom? Her DD studied Arabic and so did my son so I remember her being super helpful and lovely.
  17. I was still referring to the guy with the caps who gave them to someone else. No, I assumed you would have graciously declined the men's suits and shoes.
  18. Yep! Normally I can pick people under a new ID but not this time. However I think she had good reason to change and I’m happy to respect privacy πŸ™‚
  19. Ok, we have a great therapy center right around the corner, and a relationship with them. I will call and see if they have a suggestion for a good match for DD. They do EMDR, among other things, so if that is warranted β€” we will follow their lead. Everyone here is still a bit jumpy, but DD is most definitely the most focused on a potential repeat, often asking throughout the day how I am. The tricky part is it was idiopathic, and we do not know the trigger(s), and have been warned it can happen again. So we are making action plans, and we do indeed have to pay attention β€” so caution and awareness is warranted. I just don’t want her to feel upset or unheard about it. In interesting, I think positive news: our dog was injured today, and DD was the one to let her in and the first to see. DD immediately verbalized a 3 step plan for how to manage it, and talked herself and DH through it. I am going to call this a positive, because she felt empowered and confident to do so. (Our dog is ok now β€” minor cut that bled a lot β€” all clean and good now, we hope.)
  20. For us, I don't think it's possible to compare costs. Some things might be the same - I'd probably pack lunches for my kids to take to school, and the lunches might be similar in cost to what we eat at home. We would probably drive far less. My kids do several extracurriculars that wouldn't all be possible at school because all of the practices couldn't fit after school. Practices for their extracurriculars would all be at the school, which is convenient, instead of scattered across town in whatever church is letting the homeschool group use their facility to practice. I pay for co-op classes, but I make enough with my teaching to cover education expenses (materials for home-based classes and outsourced classes). I might have been working a normal job during this time, but since our plan is for me to up my volunteer game after the kids are out of the house it's also possible that I would have been the unpaid PTA/homeroom mom during my kids' school years. Clothing costs are likely lower, as is the cost of school supplies. I have not had to do last-minute dioramas, or scour town for a specific size and color of notebook or folder, and that has been priceless. Homeschooling is definitely less expensive than any private school option, but I can't say for sure how it would compare to public school costs. For us it is definitely about opportunity. The kids have had a deeper education that is individualized. They have gotten to do cool things that they couldn't have done in school - some trips, some activities - and to do more things because they aren't constrained to a school schedule. For years, we've had Science Olympiad practice on Fridays for several months each year, and the kids do their school work on Saturday, or Friday night, or they work ahead. My older did at least 1 credit every summer in high school, and did a heavier load in the fall, to lighten the load for spring when Science Olympiad and sport make things busy. Our homeschooling looks different from some on this board, but it has suited our family.
  21. I have very dense breasts too, and have a mammogram plus a breast MRI every year, at least. If something suspicious is seen on the mammogram, they do an ultrasound next. The last time that happened (maybe 4 years ago), they were able to see on the ultrasound that what was seen on the mammogram was nothing, or at least nothing suspicious. I can't remember if they said it was nothing at all, or just old scar tissue from a past cyst, or what. But, this is a place that specializes in women with dense breasts and a family history of breast cancer, and I trust them. I've been seeing them for 20 years now! But yeah, sorry about the expense. Even though we've always had good insurance, preventative breast MRI's (even for someone considered at risk for breast cancer) have never been covered, and I've always felt badly to have to spend up to $2,000/year for that, esp. when our kids were young and money was much tighter. I think you could probably contact your doctor though and ask her that question. She'll probably say something such as sometimes mammograms pick up shadows but we can see on an ultrasound that it's really nothing. Or, it was a likely a cyst that's not there anymore. But just hearing her explanation would be helpful!
  1. Load more activity
Γ—
Γ—