Menu

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Not nearly so much in pediatrics, as numerous people in this thread can attest, and if we’re so sure people are abusing drugs, why aren’t we testing kids to be sure their parents aren’t selling their meds? It’s mind boggling to me that ridiculous rules are being defended so steadily. Don’t quote the rest: I’m married to a provider, and he thinks the black and white statement with no qualifications is bonkers, and he knows the context of the discussion. He writes for controlled substances and follows best practices. He thinks the hoop jumping patients have to do is crazy and discriminatory. There are management systems that don’t involve taking up so much patient time (like controlled substance prescribing databases that both the provider and the pharmacy are supposed to check!). In our state, you don’t have to make anyone pee in a cup like a criminal to do 90% of the due diligence in our state, but still the hoops robustly multiply on the regular. Getting ADHD meds in our family became so much smoother when a pharmacist realized he was a provider—instead of making us come back over and over when she felt like checking the database and filling the script, it started being available quickly. So much for not making people second class citizens. That is paint by number medicine, and it’s lazy. We live in an opioid hotspot, and my DH has never needed to pull these stunts even as an exceptionally conservative provider of pain meds (and he used to be in a practice where he had patients on ADHD meds).
  3. Great news! Continuing to pray for his recovery.
  4. I’m glad you had a great trip. You’re so right that transportation is another adventure.
  5. I love having six. But that's just me. I would have had more if we could have handled it financially and also other circumstances (including my age--I'm 43 years older than my youngest). So if you want five or more, go for it!
  6. A coworker was going off about this today. She has friends that are moving soon and they are actively censoring this episode.
  7. One of my grown daughters went to almost all of my medical appts from the time I was diagnosed with cancer and all the way to the end of the chemo and radiation. I was SO glad she was there. She asked questions and took notes. I asked questions, too, but dd was able to process the info much faster and ask more thorough questions than I usually did - right then and there. This dd is very detail-oriented so it worked well for us. We used her notes for a couple of years after everything was over and the dust had settled. There was only one time that a specific doctor seemed annoyed by dd's questions. I just glanced at dd to signal her to let it go and she did. But I never told her to stop asking questions. Another way you might help them is to scour their My Chart accounts (or whatever the doctor uses). I find the doctor's notes, and tons more useful information there. I also use it to message the doctor with any questions. I know a nurse usually takes the questions to the doctor and messages me back, but that's fine. I get good solid answers to questions. On My Chart, I also find any of my test results and google the 'normal' ranges, the vocabulary, etc., to see what's happening there. Then, I message the doc with any questions. Finally, I check my appointments and change those via My Chart, too, when I need to. Can you tell I really like the My Chart feature? 😉
  8. Either we’re not selling it or you’re not applying yourself.
  9. Today
  10. @Kassia thank you for contacting her. I have been meaning to post here to ask if anyone had heard anything. I have been praying regularly for her.
  11. It sucks, but it's about the drugs, not the patient. The medical system played fast and loose with prescribing opioids and stimulants, and now they've probably swung too far in the opposite direction, as though it would change what happened in the past. Anyone who is taking a drug with a high rate of abuse is jumping through hoops. What the doctors have to do specifically varies by state and by practice, and I disagree with a lot of the specifics, but the hoop-jumping is pretty standard for any such drug, regardless of the diagnosis.
  12. I tried to add more pictures but it wouldn’t let me. our once in a lifetime trip to cinque Terre became a twice in 24 hours trip when my friend left her passport behind. That meant her and I had to navigate the train system from Torino back down there stay another night and connect with our host to get the passport and then two trains back north and a bus. Made for great adventures though.
  13. Thank you for the update. Still praying for blsdmama.
  14. This is the perfect thing to ask on Facebook.
  15. You have the best travel and hiking posts. I always enjoy them. I'm glad you had a nice trip.
  16. That's wonderful news! Still praying for a complete recovery for him. And for a plan to prevent any future episodes??
  17. Thinking of you all and sending best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
  18. We had an amazing trip to Italy. We left at 2pm on Easter Sunday and got back home at 1am Tuesday morning (after Delta “lost” our airplane for our last flight home. I enjoyed Lemon Basil gelato four times as it was so delightful. We ate amazing food the entire time. We learned the navigate the train stations and switch trains. We hiked between Vernazza and Corniglia. Our Airbnb half way up the hillside was absolutely delightful. It has a separate room for each of us and a patio that we spent a lot of time on.
  19. I stand by this. It’s an accurate and straightforward statement. It’s a fact. It doesn’t mean they won’t accept it, but they don’t have to. There are standards. They’re called best practices. People with ADHD don’t jump through “significantly higher hoops” than people with other conditions. There are a lot of hoops coming from a lot of different places and every person or organization holding one has the power to say “no.” Still accurate. Still true. Still a fact. You don’t have to like it, but it’s there. It is and remains a black and white statement. Physicians are not obligated to accept a diagnosis made by another practitioner. This is not hard to understand. It’s why people are able get second opinions & why sometimes that’s a very wise thing to do, frankly. Additionally, there is an obvious difference between diagnosis of an illness and surgical treatment of a diagnosed condition. They are not the same thing. Agreeing, disagreeing or making a more accurate diagnosis doesn’t treat anything. Not being a physician, I’m not in a position to determine what tests “will do.” I also think that accepting a path that “will do” can close the door on what is better or best. “Will do” is not a criteria I use for quality healthcare. All of the evidence regarding treating ADHD revolves around treating the symptoms. There may be studies in progress to determine the cause of ADHD, but until that is determined , if it’s ever determined, the only thing to do is treat the symptoms. Antibiotics treat the cause of the symptoms. Other medications are added to treat symptoms. Comparing prescribing ADHD meds to prescribing antibiotics is like comparing “apples to oranges.” It’s very often legislation and rules put in place by people who don’t practice medicine that result in this paternalistic behavior. Reform has to start there.
  20. I just checked and it will be a bit too far for me to go to. Oh, well.
  21. I think I've been in five Wegmans in SE PA and NJ, all have the train and rooster! My kids loved it when they were little. ❤️
  22. At my store the rooster crows every hour on the hour. We also have the model train running above the dairy section. I don't know why it's there but it is fun and I have noticed little kids absolutely thrilled with it when they spot it.
  23. Inexplicably, there is a model train running above the dairy section and a rooster that occasionally crows. I don’t know why or if it’s every store.
  24. Walks and hikes and yard work here, nothing formal.
  25. We had a very rough 10th grade year so will have to finish a couple things next year. Geometry-finish Math U See , then DE math 2nd semester Writing and Rhetoric Book 10 (finish) Book 11 Dave Raymond's Modernity Guest Hollow Chemistry in the Kitchen (co-op) World Literature from Sophocles to Tolstoy- Memoria Press lit guides Nance's Introductory Logic (planned for 10th, but didn't happen) Bible Calligraphy (co-op) Blacksmithing (possibly) Drum and piano lessons
  1. Load more activity